2017 Explorer Sport Front vents not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport Front vents not working

danielp88

Reaction score
City, State
Lyons, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
My 2017 explorer is starting to give me an issue with the front vents. I noticed that only the defrost works. Can sometimes feel it on feet too, however when I click on front/face vents nothing happens. They do not kick on at any speed. The strange thing is, the other day they randomly worked. Does this mean the actuator is bad? or what would cause the front vents to randomly work once?

is there anything else I can try before calling a shop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only defrost could be a sign of the head unit bad, but historically with older vehicles it tends to most often be a vac leak. There is a '14 workshop manual linked below in my sig, it may have troubleshooting steps for something like this.

My 2017 explorer is starting to give me an issue with the front vents. I noticed that only the defrost works. Can sometimes feel it on feet too, however when I click on front/face vents nothing happens. They do not kick on at any speed. The strange thing is, the other day they randomly worked. Does this mean the actuator is bad? or what would cause the front vents to randomly work once?

is there anything else I can try before calling a shop?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If not a vacuum leak it could the blend doors are sticking.

Peter

Looks like 2017 was a bad year for Explorer hvac. Have an xlt and just last week no air out defroster and front face vents. Floor has hot blowing air. Blower is running. Guess i gotta get my actuator replaced. I read there are 2, one behind glove box that regulates temp and the one behind cluster is the vents. What % would Ford do a recall on it? Im guessing this is like a $500+ repair from the dealer

Looks like 2017 was a bad year for Explorer hvac. Have an xlt and just last week no air out defroster and front face vents. Floor has hot blowing air. Blower is running. Guess i gotta get my actuator replaced. I read there are 2, one behind glove box that regulates temp and the one behind cluster is the vents. What % would Ford do a recall on it? Im guessing this is like a $500+ repair from the dealer
I had a 207 Platinum and had no issues with the vents. I don't know if this diagram is accurate for the 2016+ Explorer.
1707845354165.png

Peter

Back