2017 Platinum Clicking inside back right side - relay or HVAC blend door actuator? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Platinum Clicking inside back right side - relay or HVAC blend door actuator?

akjvt

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer - Platinum
Recently noticed a clicking noise inside on right rear passenger wheel well area, sounds like a relay. Some searching suggested that it may be the actuator for rear HVAC blend door? So far only notice it when at stop lights.

Suggestions, solutions, how to fix instructions are all welcomed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recently noticed a clicking noise inside on right rear passenger wheel well area, sounds like a relay. Some searching suggested that it may be the actuator for rear HVAC blend door? So far only notice it when at stop lights.

Suggestions, solutions, how to fix instructions are all welcomed.
not an X, so probably unrelated, but on our subaru the rear AC compressor and all related rear AC stuff is all back there in a similiar location.

is the rear ac on when you hear it? could it be compressor kicking in and out? possibly you only notice at stoplight because the surrounding noise level is quiet enough to hear it

It has been a few years since I had my 2017 Platinum but I thought the rear HVAC was on the left side and the subwoofer on the right?

Peter

Thanks for your comments guys.

I've done some other investigation which leads me to believe the sound I'm hearing maybe from the a/c actuator for the rear blend door...which is apparently on the right rear passenger side...however this is anecdotal. It really sounds more like a relay switch than a motor engaging. Also, the back seat heat/cool system isn't turned on to engage the compressor (at least in my mind) but if there is some type of monitoring thermostat that isn't wired through the compressor maybe it causes the blend door to function independently? All supposition on my part.

Peter, the subwoofer is located at the very rear of the right side, yes, however the clicking sound seems to come from the area of the cupholder/tray ahead of the rear wheel well. I'm not familiar where the rear system is located (right or left) or if the air blend door is co-located with it or could it be on the opposite side of the vehicle?

Hopefully, one of the other followers may have experienced a similar concern on their Ex and can share their observations with us.

Joe

If the rear HVAC system is turned OFF, then I don't believe there would be anything that should be running or operating.
Do you still hear the sound if you turn the radio OFF? Just wondering if it could be some of the electronics associated with the subwoofer that are behind the panel. It's a stretch I know.

Peter

If the rear HVAC system is turned OFF, then I don't believe there would be anything that should be running or operating.
Do you still hear the sound if you turn the radio OFF? Just wondering if it could be some of the electronics associated with the subwoofer that are behind the panel. It's a stretch I know.

Peter
Peter, I don't think the radio has been turned on in the instances where the noise was occurring, but I'll check that on my next drive to see if there is a correlation. Thanks

Joe

Back