2017 Sport White/Blue Smoke on Startup/Acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Sport White/Blue Smoke on Startup/Acceleration

CCoin

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I recently bought a 2017 sport, I think its had 2 owners, drove it first day about 100 miles, and 2 consecutive drives about 20 miles each perfectly fine with no smoke.
On 3rd drive noticed smoke coming when accelerating from exhaust, it appeared white but probably is a light blue as it smells like burnt oil. When got home changed the oil, the car has 20k miles and unfortunately would guess oil may have never been changed. There was no coolant/water in the oil, the oil was just absolutely filthy as you would guess, and more or less sludge, so i know it will take some time for all the sludge to clear out. Since changing the oil, Ive driven it twice, about 15 miles each time, and on cold start it bellows out white/light blue smoke for about 1-2 minutes then clears up but still getting a good amount of smoke every time i do more than light acceleration. Ive checked the pcv valve and hose and they are not gummed up nor blocked.
Im at this point hoping to get some opinions as to if the 'sludge' oil is the smoking gun of the problem and if this should clear itself out after more driving, or if anyone can point me in any directions as what to check or any ideas period, will really appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are burning oil. If it was never changed, damage has probably/likely been done. If you can return the vehicle, it would probably be the best thing to do.

You are burning oil. If it was never changed, damage has probably/likely been done. If you can return the vehicle, it would probably be the best thing to do.
I am aware oil is being burnt, and returning the vehicle unfortunately isn't an option. I am only speculating the oil has never been changed as there are deposits Im seeing. However the oil was still viscous it wasnt pure tar, and the engine still runs well. there are no codes being bumped and all SMOG readings are well within limits.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you know if the dealer you bought it from was the original selling dealer? If so, they should be able to pull up the service records for it. I believe a Carfax report can also provide some history info.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you know if the dealer you bought it from was the original selling dealer? If so, they should be able to pull up the service records for it. I believe a Carfax report can also provide some history info.

Peter
Thanks for the welcome Peter.
As for the question, i know people will cringe at this but its not from a dealer and its a salvage title, minor front end accident, airbags deployed, all damage was repaired. All engine parts are all factory parts that i can see and theres no damage in engine bay. All service records are of just typical recalls, there are 5 of them. I think oil was changed at least once as i looked at oil filter i removed and its not a Ford part.
I drove it again this afternoon, after about 5 minutes of freeway driving and a few somewhat hard accelerations all the smoking does clear up, so what i can gather either there are deposits in the engine that keep settling, or the turbo seal is leaking. Before i start digging into it more anyone and start pulling things apart, anyone have any experience with any of this, and maybe point me in one direction or the other.

I don't know how salvage titles work but I assume there's no powertrain warranty for it anymore. I would do another oil change in a few hundred miles with a good full synthetic oil and filter. Hopefully it'll smoke less and less as you drive it. I'd even drive it like you stole it for a bit and work those turbos.

This is the only other thread on "White Smoke" that I could find. I didn't include it in my initial post because you mentioned yours also smelled a little of burning oil. Sport Blowing white smoke???
It sounds like that during the period that it is sitting, some oil is leaking and then gets burned off when first starting to drive. Perhaps someone has an idea of what may be causing that.

Peter

This is the only other thread on "White Smoke" that I could find. I didn't include it in my initial post because you mentioned yours also smelled a little of burning oil. Sport Blowing white smoke???
It sounds like that during the period that it is sitting, some oil is leaking and then gets burned off when first starting to drive. Perhaps someone has an idea of what may be causing that.

Peter
I read through that earlier, sounds like could be same sort of issue, just dont know the history of my car so hard to know if this was a problem before me or not.
I don't know how salvage titles work but I assume there's no powertrain warranty for it anymore. I would do another oil change in a few hundred miles with a good full synthetic oil and filter. Hopefully it'll smoke less and less as you drive it. I'd even drive it like you stole it for a bit and work those turbos.
Yea no warranty anymore i went by local dealer to hopefully get some insight from them and see if warranty was at all valid but since its salvage no go, and they gave me the whole spiel of o it could be lots of things, wanting me to bring it in and not give me any info for me to do it myself.
Forgot to mention when i was clearing it up this afternoon, went to store it cleared up on highway, 15 minutes in store came out, was smoking again when accelerating (not on startup), and when i went to get on highway, did get missfire codes in 3-6, and had horrible acceleration because of this obviously, about a mile onto freeway, engine felt like it cleared up, accelerating and driving comfortably and codes cleared. Makes me think once again turbo possibly on that side.
Am going to drive it tonight for hopefully an hour or so so i dont get so many looks from people thinking the thing is going to explode. Any one got any other ideas seeing the added info?

You can do a leakdown test to check for worn rings/scored cylinders/blowby. Could also pull plugs and get a camera in there for visual inspection of cylinder walls.

You may have seal issues with turbos.

Crankcase pressure could be high causing excess oil/vapor into intake.

Oil leak past valve stems would typically only be at startup after sitting.

Unfortunately, with salvage vehicles, it's just a guess on the actual vehicle history. Hopefully you got a hell of a deal. It's a little late, but you may want to really start digging into the vehicle service/maintenance history and the extent of the damage. Google the VIN and see if anything comes up from auction. Contact the insurance company that handled the claim and see if they are willing to provide any info.

Nothing personal, but you may not want to drive it like you stole it until you get the problem identified. It does nothing to work the turbos (not even sure what that means), but if you have a turbo oil seal problem, oil pressure changes from getting on it could certainly exacerbate the issue and cause the turbo/seal to fail pretty quickly and spectacularly.

Sorry to hear that
Please share.

In an oem eb setup, driver is either on or off boost depending on their right foot. If the op has a problem with oil smoke at startup and while driving, getting on the motor is probably not the best advice.

If it were my vehicle, I'd try not to overwork the motor and get exhaust temps or boost pressure to the upper range until figuring out where the oil smoke is coming from. Not to mention it's a salvage vehicle and who knows what the extent of the damage was or the quality of the repairs.

Op also said it was throwing multiple misfire codes, which is just another reason not to just "work the turbos". Op need to either have it checked out or check it out him/herself.

I recently bought a 2017 sport, I think its had 2 owners, drove it first day about 100 miles, and 2 consecutive drives about 20 miles each perfectly fine with no smoke.
On 3rd drive noticed smoke coming when accelerating from exhaust, it appeared white but probably is a light blue as it smells like burnt oil. When got home changed the oil, the car has 20k miles and unfortunately would guess oil may have never been changed. There was no coolant/water in the oil, the oil was just absolutely filthy as you would guess, and more or less sludge, so i know it will take some time for all the sludge to clear out. Since changing the oil, Ive driven it twice, about 15 miles each time, and on cold start it bellows out white/light blue smoke for about 1-2 minutes then clears up but still getting a good amount of smoke every time i do more than light acceleration. Ive checked the pcv valve and hose and they are not gummed up nor blocked.
Im at this point hoping to get some opinions as to if the 'sludge' oil is the smoking gun of the problem and if this should clear itself out after more driving, or if anyone can point me in any directions as what to check or any ideas period, will really appreciate it.
I have an '13 Exp Sprt. Check the Downstream 02 sensors and check turbo oil supply lines. I replaced both of senors when I had that issue and it stopped. Then sometime later, my passenger side turbo had a leaky supply line onto the exhaust. Which also caused white smoke and burning oil smell.

I have an '13 Exp Sprt. Check the Downstream 02 sensors and check turbo oil supply lines. I replaced both of senors when I had that issue and it stopped. Then sometime later, my passenger side turbo had a leaky supply line onto the exhaust. Which also caused white smoke and burning oil smell.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back