2018 Explorer Platinum has very noisy options... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Platinum has very noisy options...

FASTSTANG

Reaction score
City, State
Metuchen, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Greetings,
Just picked up my new 2018 Explorer Platinum edition and was very excited to try the massaging seats. Upon activating I noticed they are quite noisy. So is the cooled seat option, very noisy and these options seem to be powered from the rear of the vehicle as it fills the entire cabin with a loud hissing noise.
Anyone else experience the same?
LJS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The messaging seats are air bags in them that inflate and deflate. The AC seats have a fan inside the seat that forces the air through. So you are hearing the fan/blower for both. It is normal operation and sound for these vehicles.

Greetings,
Just picked up my new 2018 Explorer Platinum edition and was very excited to try the massaging seats. Upon activating I noticed they are quite noisy. So is the cooled seat option, very noisy and these options seem to be powered from the rear of the vehicle as it fills the entire cabin with a loud hissing noise.
LJS
I've had my '17 Platinum for 19 months now and have yet to try the massaging seats so I can't really comment on those other than to say that no one else has complained about them being noisy. As for the cooled seats, I don't find them noisy at all. In fact, with the radio on and not loud, I don't even hear them. Even with the radio OFF, I have to really listen very closely to hear the fan and then it is only a very faint sound. The only cooling from the back would be if you had the read heating/cooling system ON. Otherwise you should not hear anything from the back.

Peter

I've had my Platinum for 19 months now and have yet to try the massaging seats so I can't really comment on those other than to say that no one else has complained about them being noisy. As for the cooled seats, I don't find them noisy at all. In fact, with the radio on and not loud, I don't even hear them. Even with the radio OFF, I have to really listen very closely to hear the fan and then it is only a very faint sound. The only cooling from the back would be if you had the read heating/cooling system ON. Otherwise you should not hear anything from the back.

Peter
When my kids sit in the backseat they can hear the noise behind them from the massaging seats and the cooled seats. Without Rear A/C on. Wondering if Ford did something different with the 18s

When my kids sit in the backseat they can hear the noise behind them from the massaging seats and the cooled seats. Without Rear A/C on. Wondering if Ford did something different with the 18s

The seat sounds are playing tricks on your kids. It isn't coming from behind them. The fans are in the seats, u can see the air filter for the fan from the 2nd row if u put your head down and look up under the front seats

My ’14 Sport doesn’t have massaging seats, but I do have the heated/cooled versions.
I can definitely hear the seat fan with the cooling set to high. I wouldn’t say it’s overbearing, but it’s there. Dropping down to medium reduces the noise quite a bit.

Greetings,
LJS
Next thing I need to figure out is the self-parking... Will it do parallel as well as a back-in park?
LJS

Next thing I need to figure out is the self-parking... Will it do parallel as well as a back-in park?
LJS
Time to sit down and read the Owner's Manual. :) There is a lot of info in there that answers many questions posted here. I've read mine several times and still find the odd new thing. See the section starting on page 206 of the Manual.

Peter

My Platinum's massaging seats have never struck me as being noisy, however a slight sound does come from the air compressors as they are inflating/deflating the little internal air bags.
I find the cooled seat fan is hardly noticeable when driving the car. It can be heard if the car is parked and you listen closely, I just went out and tried it.

What is a bit loud is the Rear A/C, depending on the settings. When it is on full blast, air comes from the overhead vents and from under the front seats, that is a lot of air blowing around but is sure cools the car down.

Peter has the right of it, sit in the car and read and experiment with the settings of all the various creature comforts, there are a lot of them. After that, if you still feel a component is not working correctly take it back to the Dealer and see what they say. Although, there is a good chance you'll get better answers here. ;)

Edit: Yes, the vehicle will parallel and perpendicular park, there are 2 separate buttons on the dash, but you have to apply the brakes and shift the transmission to forward/reverse when it tells you to. You definitely need to read the Owner's Manual before trying this! It works pretty well but I don't use it often,

LJS

Yep, just did it last night. Except, it failed. It bumped the curb. It wasn't the greatest spot though. Dropped my wife off to run into the store and there was a spot right up front. Car, parking space for me on the right, and curb. Went past the space until I was told to stop. Starting back up and everything well but then my tires bumped the curb. Maybe because it wasn't in between two cars so it was difficult to pick up the curb with the sensors, not sure. Usually its pretty good at picking up curbs when I am just driving on my own. It works though with back in parking.

I can't say I've ever heard my cooling seat function but yes you can hear the seat material moving around with the message going.

Back