2019 Explorer XLT without exhaust tips | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2019 Explorer XLT without exhaust tips

Im thinking this was a end of generation deletion much like the 2nd horn my 2019 Sport was "missing". De-contenting the end of production models is nothing new. Just sucks for us that want one last "perfect" model with all known upgrades.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im thinking this was a end of generation deletion much like the 2nd horn my 2019 Sport was "missing". De-contenting the end of production models is nothing new. Just sucks for us that want one last "perfect" model with all known upgrades.

What is the reasoning behind that?

Go look at the 2019's with the chrome tips...look underneath and see if there is a hole cut into the bottom of the chrome tip. Also look into the end of the tip & see if it is closed off ...hence it is a fancy turn down tip. I have seen this type on the dealership lots. If I recall, the sport & platinum tips still exit the exhaust out the back & not down.

I bet this was a change to use parts that Ford would have been stuck with. Orders for 2019 stopped in November and production ends this month for the 5th gen. My guess is Ford changed a certain package/trim to use the parts that they had on hand so they would not have to throw them out.

Retooling for the 6th gen starts this month so any unused parts are getting junked.. It's business and smart at that for Ford to use as many parts as possible.

Edited - Correction, 5th gen production has already stopped and retooling has begun.

Go look at the 2019's with the chrome tips...look underneath and see if there is a hole cut into the bottom of the chrome tip. Also look into the end of the tip & see if it is closed off ...hence it is a fancy turn down tip. I have seen this type on the dealership lots. If I recall, the sport & platinum tips still exit the exhaust out the back & not down.

My 2019 Sport does not have any cut into the bottom. The tip is not closed and exhaust exits as one would expect, through the tips.

I bet this was a change to use parts that Ford would have been stuck with. Orders for 2019 stopped in November and production ends this month for the 5th gen. My guess is Ford changed a certain package/trim to use the parts that they had on hand so they would not have to throw them out.

Retooling for the 6th gen starts this month so any unused parts are getting junked.. It's business and smart at that for Ford to use as many parts as possible.

I wonder if its possible to buy some of these then. I had mine up on a lift and noticed some rust on the exhaust system already (this was it's first winter).

My 2019 Sport does not have any cut into the bottom. The tip is not closed and exhaust exits as one would expect, through the tips.

Exactly what I stated about the sport and platinum...

I wonder if its possible to buy some of these then. I had mine up on a lift and noticed some rust on the exhaust system already (this was it's first winter).
Oxidation/rust of exposed metal parts will begin at the factory, so what you are seeing is quite normal.

Peter

I was at the dealer last week for some other stuff and at a quick glance, I thought they had gotten some PIUs in with the 'street appearance' package.

There IS no SAP on the PIU, not since the Crown Vic. You can kind of make your own by ordering big hubcaps and Interior Upgrade Package, but there is no complete package as such.

Ford.com says dual chrome exhaust tips are standard on Explorer, XLT, and Limited. This is listed under Models & Specs / Base / Exterior Features. Under Sport it says quad chrome exhaust tips are standard on Sport and Platinum.

There is nothing that says anything about turned down exhaust, or tips only being available on certain appearance packages.

Edit: looking at the a local dealer website the 3 base Explorers all had turned down exhaust. All the XLT's without the sport appearance package had turned down exhaust (I did not look to see if any had the other appearance package). The XLT's with the sport appearance package and the Limited's had dual chrome tips. The Sports and Platinums had quad tips.

Keep in mind US and Canadian content isn't always the same.

Oxdation/rust of exposed metal parts will begin at the factory, so what you are seeing is quite normal.

Peter

Ah I see. Thank you, I was a little worried. Still gonna get an undercoat though. I'd really like this one to last.

Keep in mind US and Canadian content isn't always the same.
In this case Ford.com (not Ford.ca) doesn't match what is on the lot at a US dealer. But looking at Ford.ca under XLT (no base model listed on .ca) it lists dual chrome exhaust tips as standard on XLT and Limited.

I think this is a case of Ford making an in production change without updating their website or specifications, which would be an issue if you were ordering one (I guess you would only be able to refuse delivery), but if you bought off the lot, you really can't complain as it was that way when you looked at it.

There IS no SAP on the PIU, not since the Crown Vic. You can kind of make your own by ordering big hubcaps and Interior Upgrade Package, but there is no complete package as such.
po-TAY-toe/po-TAH-toe - I understand what you are saying, but they indicate "With XLT appearance pkg" on ETIS - at least that is how my 16 shows up, but my 17 shows "Less Exterior Appearance Pack" because it was ordered with rubber floor, center caps, and no center console.

In this case Ford.com (not Ford.ca) doesn't match what is on the lot at a US dealer. But looking at Ford.ca under XLT (no base model listed on .ca) it lists dual chrome exhaust tips as standard on XLT and Limited.

I think this is a case of Ford making an in production change without updating their website or specifications, which would be an issue if you were ordering one (I guess you would only be able to refuse delivery), but if you bought off the lot, you really can't complain as it was that way when you looked at it.
All OEs do this. That is why there are disclaimers and fine print on every piece of marketing material they produce. Everything is subject to change.

My wife”s also did not have the chrome tips so I added them . Stainless steel tips off amazon . I just knocked the centers out of them which took 2 minutes . Very easy and looks factory
B4FE4DCF-FC06-453B-AC5D-4F1F2B95DAB7.jpeg
7BEEC40A-B575-4CA5-A2F5-7EDA30ADBB55.jpeg

My wife”s also did not have the chrome tips so I added them . Stainless steel tips off amazon . I just knocked the centers out of them which took 2 minutes . Very easy and looks factory
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back