2020 Eplorer ST and Platinum PHEV to US? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Eplorer ST and Platinum PHEV to US?

steweod

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
'22 Aviator
I was poking around on the parts.ford.com site after reading a different post about suspension on the 2020 Explorer. I came across something interesting. In the description of the shocks for both the ST and Platinum it lists 3.0L Nano-D4-G-GTDI-CD6R-PHEV options. Like so:
  • 05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, 3.0L Nano-D4-G-GTDI-CD6R-PHEV, ST Version
  • 05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, 3.0L GTDI TC V6 Petrol, ST Version
  • 05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, 3.0L Nano-D4-G-GTDI-CD6R-PHEV, Platinum Version
  • 05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, 3.0L GTDI TC V6 Petrol, Platinum Version
and police version but its description would not load right.

05/06/2019 - 06/06/2079, Explorer 2020-, 3.0L Nano-D4-G-GTDI-CD6R-PHEV, Police Version

I checked and the Lincoln part numbers are different so they are not the same there.

I know there is a PHEV for Europe that is much like the Aviator system (meaning more power). I wonder if this means it will be coming to the US as well. I say this because the parts site doesn't list other European parts (or at least I have noticed) and I have not seen that Ford is releasing the Police Utility to Europe.

What do all of you think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been stated there will be a PHEV for the EU market and others at day one - when introduced there.

There are other discussions that say this is a PHEV model for the police utility version for sale. Debatable on interceptor model but that could be interesting.

And that around year 2 in the US - it would be available here. Issue I see with that - a competing discussion says the PHEV model will only ever be a lincoln in the US for the upsale. I think CAFE and other pressures will make a PHEV US explorer available - must like how there was a fusion and a MKX models.

Unknown. I know Ford has spent a lot of money on this 10speed/hybrid transmission and you will see it in just about every vehicle going forward (hybrid built into the trans)

This is far smarter then going PHEV in my opinion. With the tax credits drying up and the fact of fuel staying in the $2 range, I do not see the cost savings going PHEV in this market.

This is far smarter then going PHEV in my opinion. With the tax credits drying up and the fact of fuel staying in the $2 range, I do not see the cost savings going PHEV in this market.

I do not care about the cost savings of the PHEV. I care about having more power!!!!! And it would be nice to see the look on peoples face to park a 450hp 600ft lbs car in the eco car only parking spots.

new updated owners guide has this statement in it.

Plugging in Your HYBRID We recommend the following options for your plug-in vehicle (PHEV) :
• Leave your vehicle plugged in. The 12 volt battery maintains power if left plugged in. However, this periodically uses electricity from the household outlet.
• Connect a battery charger to your 12 volt battery and leave it on a continuous, slow charge.
• Disconnect the 12 volt battery. If your 12 volt battery is located in the luggage compartment, do not fully shut the luggage compartment after disconnecting the 12 volt battery. Only leave the luggage compartment open if your vehicle is stored in a locked location.

Also, I noticed the Police Utility has its own separate owners guide.

Back