2021 XLT Cargo Cover / Securing Loose Cargo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 XLT Cargo Cover / Securing Loose Cargo

tbbexp

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
I tried searching the forum for some information on securing cargo or cargo covers for the 2021 XLT. It doesn't look like Ford offers anything for the 2020 or 2021 as a cargo cover or to secure cargo. I'm specifically looking for something that can keep cargo in the back if I were to stop quick or have an accident. The kiddos are still in rear facing seats in the second row, so it would be in their lap, especially with the captain's chairs. I have some tie-down ratchets i can use if needed, but was hoping there was something simpler available.

I did see someone share a photo of this -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OJ8VGZ2/?tag=serious-20

Are there any alternates specific to this model?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There is nothing shown in the Ford Accessories Store for the 6th gen. Even the cargo covers offered for the 5th gen would not prevent cargo from sliding forward in case of a sudden stop. The best protection as I see it would be to leave the 3rd-row seat up but that limits the amount of cargo you can carry. I'm guessing you are looking for something with the 3rd-row seats folded? All I've found are really just covers and nets
This seems to be like the one you posted but much less cost. 2011 -2019 Explorer OEM Genuine Ford Black Cargo Security Shade BB5J-7845440-ADW | eBay

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There is nothing shown in the Ford Accessories Store for the 6th gen. Even the cargo covers offered for the 5th gen would not prevent cargo from sliding forward in case of a sudden stop. The best protection as I see it would be to leave the 3rd-row seat up but that limits the amount of cargo you can carry. I'm guessing you are looking for something with the 3rd-row seats folded? All I've found are really just covers and nets
This seems to be like the one you posted but much less cost. 2011 -2019 Explorer OEM Genuine Ford Black Cargo Security Shade BB5J-7845440-ADW | eBay

Peter
Hi, thanks for the info and the less expensive shade! Yeah, was thinking of having the 3rd row down for extra storage on a road trip or such. The shade would be nice to kinda conceal contents while parked. I can always get a roof rack storage (or trailer hitch and attachments) if I get really desperate for space. I think more about stuff being somewhat secure in an accident instead of become a projectile floating around in the car more than any other small loose stuff we have in there.

Keep in mind that the weight on the roof rack crossbars is limited to 75 lb. with a moonroof and 165 lb. without one. I haven't seen anything yet that would secure the load in the cargo area to prevent it from moving forward. That said, I don't know how much force the backs of the captain's chairs can take.

Peter

Keep in mind that the weight on the roof rack crossbars is limited to 75 lb. with a moonroof and 165 lb. without one. I haven't seen anything yet that would secure the load in the cargo area to prevent it from moving forward. That said, I don't know how much force the backs of the captain's chairs can take.

Peter
I've not noticed any tie down rings with which to use a cargo net/cover or straps in the Explorer. Also, the captain's chairs in the back have an enormous space between them...not really conducive to occupied rearward facing child seats while carrying unsecured cargo.
Perhaps a barrier/cage could be fitted just aft of the captain's chairs. Attachment hard points would be required as a mod.

I've not noticed any tie down rings with which to use a cargo net/cover or straps in the Explorer. Also, the captain's chairs in the back have an enormous space between them...not really conducive to occupied rearward facing child seats while carrying unsecured cargo.
Perhaps a barrier/cage could be fitted just aft of the captain's chairs. Attachment hard points would be required as a mod.
There are 4 metal tie down rings. They are located low on the sidewall with 2 by the 3rd row seats and 2 way in the back by the hatch. These would work well for a cargo net.

I think my ST came with a small cargo tie down net

There are 4 metal tie down rings. They are located low on the sidewall with 2 by the 3rd row seats and 2 way in the back by the hatch. These would work well for a cargo net.
I don't know what to say. I totally missed them and don't know why. They're there all right, in plain sight.

Back