2022 ST vs King Ranch? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2022 ST vs King Ranch?

I think it's going to come down to passengers. Do you need to regularly carry 5 people AND their luggage? Or is it never more than 4? With a bench you can seat five and keep the third row folded. In my case, I always go captains, because I can lay my hockey sticks in between the rear seat. In your case, I don't see why you'd be on the fence. If you're gonna lay a foam mattress down you need a bench to fill the gap.
I have to go see them in person I have only seen pictures of the buckets folded and you probably right cause my mattress is only a little more than half the width of the cargo area. And I rarely have more than 4 usually only two people. I have only used the third row once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

................................................ I don't see why you'd be on the fence. If you're gonna lay a foam mattress down you need a bench to fill the gap.
Or carry a piece of plywood or something similar that you could lay across the gap when you need it.

Peter

I can’t believe that it is not offered in Canada. What is there thinking on that?
I’m on the fence about the 4 buckets or the rear bench. When traveling I put a foam mattress in the back of my 2015 with the bench for when I need a couple of hours sleep. With all the seats folded down it works for me. Looks like there are some gaps when you fold the buckets down. Also it is better for loading cargo with the buckets.
I would like to here from people who have owned both.
My wife often has our 4 teenage grandchildren in the Explorer. The second row bench in our Platinum makes it easy to haul them around and by keeping the 2 way back seats folded down there is plenty of room for their gear.
The second row bench makes the Explorer an excellent 5 passenger vehicle.

I ordered an ST in November of 21. It arrived end or February 2022. We added the 2nd row bench seat. We drove it to Salt lake City Utah for the ST driving experience. about 477 miles each way to and from Vegas. I found it very comfortable. The bench seat is good for the extra people in our family. I don't regret that option. I'd have to drive a Platinum or KR, but I don't find the ST stiff at all.

We have the Capt chairs in my KR and don't regret it.... we don't have kids and nice that I don't have to haul many people around.... Sorry, only have room for 2 in the back... :) 👍

We have captains in our Timberline. Before that it was a mini-van with captains and we liked it that way. We have three kids and at 15, 17, and 19 they don't fit well side by side on a bench in anything less than an Expedition. My 07 has a bench and a third row but for short trips we don't use the third row since it's awkward to get back there but they are pretty snug on that bench.
So it's nice that no seat acrobatics are required for one of them to get to the third row. Even at their age I think they prefer it that way since no one is TOUCHING EACH OTHER!

I seldom need to haul more than four people. I bought a storage bin, which when upside down, perfectly fills the space between the captain's chairs. I have a seat cover for the dogs. The storage bin and seat cover work perfectly to give the pups a stable platform. Combined with the doggie seat-belts, the pups are safe and comfy. When there are no four-footed passengers, the seat cover folds up and fits in the storage bin.

Back