2022 ST vs King Ranch?

CavCop

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Killeen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer King Ranch
Anyone driven a ST and a King Ranch with the 3.0l? From reading on like the ST seems like a stiff ride, but the KR has 20” wheels and maybe the same tires as the ST. It seems the KR does not have paddle shifters, is it on the center console?

I was looking at the Explorer and Expedition Timberlines, the Explorer seems like the 2.3 is lacking. Thought maybe if 2023 had a 3.0 Explorer in the Timberline or the Explorer had Powerboost hybrid I do that.

Now it looks like 2023 is just a carry over, so the 2023 King Ranch Explorer seems like my next vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the shifter knob is on the center console.

cq5dam.web.1440.1440.jpeg

I test drove a 2.3 when I was looking in 2020. Wound up with the ST not so much for the power, but for the difference in tuning in the transmission. The transmission behind the 3.0 just always seems to be in the right gear.

Anyone driven a ST and a King Ranch with the 3.0l? From reading on like the ST seems like a stiff ride, but the KR has 20” wheels and maybe the same tires as the ST. It seems the KR does not have paddle shifters, is it on the center console?

I was looking at the Explorer and Expedition Timberlines, the Explorer seems like the 2.3 is lacking. Thought maybe if 2023 had a 3.0 Explorer in the Timberline or the Explorer had Powerboost hybrid I do that.

Now it looks like 2023 is just a carry over, so the 2023 King Ranch Explorer seems like my next vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The ST has a 'sport tuned' suspension so yes, it is a little stiffer. I believe it also tuned a little differently. I would also like to have a look at the King Ranch but for some reason, it is not offered in Canada. I haven't driven an ST but my only complaint 'from afar' is that you can only get it with a black interior. Not something I want. BTW, the Platinum has the same 3.0L engine. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The ST has a 'sport tuned' suspension so yes, it is a little stiffer. I believe it also tuned a little differently. I would also like to have a look at the King Ranch but for some reason, it is not offered in Canada. I haven't driven an ST but my only complaint 'from afar' is that you can only get it with a black interior. Not something I want. BTW, the Platinum has the same 3.0L engine. Good luck.

Peter
The stiffer ST suspension makes me lean away.
It’s seems the Timberline uses the Police shocks/springs and rides higher, but lacks power with the single engine. I was looking at a Expedition Timberline which comes with the HO 3.5l and like 3.73 gears. But the size and mpg (along with price and you have to get the sun roof) are a bit more than what I want. I liked the Timberline 18” wheels for more tire/ride quality.

Ford does not seem to have gear options on the Explorer like the Expedition or F150’s.

I do like the KR leather and even the green Timberline leather better than black.

I am curious about the ST vs KR difference for engine/gears/brakes/sway bars. It seems like just the suspension and interior leather separate them, and maybe the tune.

"The stiffer ST suspension makes me lean away..."
Pun intended? ;) I've always enjoyed a more stout ride. The ST is kinda stiff, but comfortable enough for a long road-trip. I added the RSB to reduce the lean even more. I really enjoy a long, decreasing-radius turn taken at 2x + the "advisory" speed. Just have to be mindful of those geniuses who stop at the bottom of the ramp :mad: . As for the flat black interior, luckily there are shady places in the parking lot at work.

My wife (who hated my Speed 3 and doesn't like the Mustang) doesn't mind the ride, perhaps because of the bulk of the ST. I kinda wanted a KR, but really like the ST, so when this one became available, I dropped the Limited (in which I'd lost all confidence). I've noticed that Limited sat for a while due to the parts it needed to make is saleable. It sold finally and came right back, it seems.

The Platinum and KR have the same engine as the ST, but de-tuned for a little bit less power. The KR and Plat will have a softer more easy-going suspension. So I'd say if you don't like the ride in the ST, check out either of those. For what it's worth, the KR is essentially the same vehicle as the Plat, but with the special leather, trim, and badging. So if the aesthetics aren't important, you can save some money by going with the Plat.

I'll take this opportunity to point out that I am absolutely disappointed in the KR trim for the Explorer. I've wanted a KR version of the Explorer for years and when they finally come out with it, it's basically indistinguishable from the Plat until you're close. I like the leather color, but I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't offer a two tone paint like on the F-150. Give me a Forest Green KR with Stone rocker panels.

The Platinum and KR have the same engine as the ST, but de-tuned for a little bit less power. The KR and Plat will have a softer more easy-going suspension. So I'd say if you don't like the ride in the ST, check out either of those. For what it's worth, the KR is essentially the same vehicle as the Plat, but with the special leather, trim, and badging. So if the aesthetics aren't important, you can save some money by going with the Plat.

I'll take this opportunity to point out that I am absolutely disappointed in the KR trim for the Explorer. I've wanted a KR version of the Explorer for years and when they finally come out with it, it's basically indistinguishable from the Plat until you're close. I like the leather color, but I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't offer a two tone paint like on the F-150. Give me a Forest Green KR with Stone rocker panels.

All Explorers with the 3.0 now have the same 400 HP.

All Explorers with the 3.0 now have the same 400 HP.
I had read that as well, but only about the Platinum. And I've never been able to find official Ford documentation that says that.

If that's true, then that's even more reason to go Plat/KR over ST in this guy's case.

I had read that as well, but only about the Platinum. And I've never been able to find official Ford documentation that says that.

If that's true, then that's even more reason to go Plat/KR over ST in this guy's case.
From the Ford website;

1661970595157.png

Peter

As a KR owner, not sure the 2 tone would work with the current body style. I have a 21 so I have the paddles that were lost for 22.
I think the ride is a good mix of firm but not harsh (thou with the 20's you will get some firm road surface transfers into the cabin.
I wish i had the 400HP of the 22's but at 365 it never seems lacking. I don't regret my KR purchase at all and my 4th Explorer i've owned.

As a KR owner, not sure the 2 tone would work with the current body style. I have a 21 so I have the paddles that were lost for 22.
I think the ride is a good mix of firm but not harsh (thou with the 20's you will get some firm road surface transfers into the cabin.
I wish i had the 400HP of the 22's but at 365 it never seems lacking. I don't regret my KR purchase at all and my 4th Explorer i've owned.
I have a 2021 Platinum and the 365hp is more than enough for me also, especially running 93 octane.

I have a 2021 Platinum and the 365hp is more than enough for me also, especially running 93 octane.
You could probably cut back to 91 octane without noticing a difference. I had that engine in my 2011 Limited and just used regular 87 octane.
I run 91 in my 2020 Aviator with the 3.0L Ecoboost.

Peter

Went to a dealer today. Got to mess with some Platinums and Limited, no KR’s. The messaging seats were nice, 2nd row captain seats seemed small, definitely would do a bench. Ride was good/not great. Entry height was good for my wife. Dash fit was so-so and center screen seemed a little flimsy with sync 3.

Problem is no green KR’s with options I want, and it’s a 20-21 week delivery time. I know trade in values might go down. The manager I guess took off for the weekend with an green Expedition Timberline they just got in. It’s $80k, so it depends on my F 150 Lariat (high/502A) trade in value, along with how the Expedition rides… but the durability/reliability seems better.

I guess it a odd time to buy vehicles. Oddly they have a few Explorer Timberlines, but with the 2.3l and limited options nothing I liked.

I might wait 3-4 months and see if build times/deliveries are better. It’s different to have to buy at sticker, and either trade in and wait 5-6 months, or risk vehicle value 5-6 months later.

I know some places sell at 1-3% under invoice, so there is some wiggle room. I assume my F 150 with premium options 5.0, trailer tow, and 36 gallon tank should sell well, just have to what happens tomorrow. I wanted a shorter and narrower SUV, but the build quality of the body on frame f150 based Expedition with 3.5 just seems better than the Explorer 3.0. I just don’t know if it’s $20k and no messaging seats better.

Part of buying is also I have 4-5 years left on my work contract, and hope to lower my monthly payments… and not have a vehicle payment in 4-5 years. We shall see.

End ramble.

Went to a dealer today. Got to mess with some Platinums and Limited, no KR’s. The messaging seats were nice, 2nd row captain seats seemed small, definitely would do a bench. Ride was good/not great. Entry height was good for my wife. Dash fit was so-so and center screen seemed a little flimsy with sync 3.

Problem is no green KR’s with options I want, and it’s a 20-21 week delivery time. I know trade in values might go down. The manager I guess took off for the weekend with an green Expedition Timberline they just got in. It’s $80k, so it depends on my F 150 Lariat (high/502A) trade in value, along with how the Expedition rides… but the durability/reliability seems better.

I guess it a odd time to buy vehicles. Oddly they have a few Explorer Timberlines, but with the 2.3l and limited options nothing I liked.

I might wait 3-4 months and see if build times/deliveries are better. It’s different to have to buy at sticker, and either trade in and wait 5-6 months, or risk vehicle value 5-6 months later.

I know some places sell at 1-3% under invoice, so there is some wiggle room. I assume my F 150 with premium options 5.0, trailer tow, and 36 gallon tank should sell well, just have to what happens tomorrow. I wanted a shorter and narrower SUV, but the build quality of the body on frame f150 based Expedition with 3.5 just seems better than the Explorer 3.0. I just don’t know if it’s $20k and no messaging seats better.

Part of buying is also I have 4-5 years left on my work contract, and hope to lower my monthly payments… and not have a vehicle payment in 4-5 years. We shall see.

End ramble.
????

You have a question?

????

I wish they just made the king ranch an interior option. I love the seats but I don’t want roof rails. I also want black wheels but I don’t want black interior. An ST with king ranch interior would be perfect in my opinion.

I wish they just made the king ranch an interior option. I love the seats but I don’t want roof rails. I also want black wheels but I don’t want black interior. An ST with king ranch interior would be perfect in my opinion.
That’s one thing I liked about the newer F 150’s, they have a black trim option, even on the higher trims now.

I got my F 150 as a Lariat with the black sport package as it had features I wanted inside, and no chrome outside.

The Timberline/Stealth packages on the SUV’s seem neat. They even have factory Black Oval emblems over the blue and chrome.

I am not a fan of chrome trim, but spend more time inside, so I guess I can live with it.

The fact that the ST only comes with a black interior has kept me from even considering it. As for the King Ranch, it's not even offered here. :(

Peter

The fact that the ST only comes with a black interior has kept me from even considering it. As for the King Ranch, it's not even offered here. :(

Peter
I can’t believe that it is not offered in Canada. What is there thinking on that?
I’m on the fence about the 4 buckets or the rear bench. When traveling I put a foam mattress in the back of my 2015 with the bench for when I need a couple of hours sleep. With all the seats folded down it works for me. Looks like there are some gaps when you fold the buckets down. Also it is better for loading cargo with the buckets.
I would like to here from people who have owned both.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can’t believe that it is not offered in Canada. What is there thinking on that?
I’m on the fence about the 4 buckets or the rear bench. When traveling I put a foam mattress in the back of my 2015 with the bench for when I need a couple of hours sleep. With all the seats folded down it works for me. Looks like there are some gaps when you fold the buckets down. Also it is better for loading cargo with the buckets.
I would like to here from people who have owned both.
I think it's going to come down to passengers. Do you need to regularly carry 5 people AND their luggage? Or is it never more than 4? With a bench you can seat five and keep the third row folded. In my case, I always go captains, because I can lay my hockey sticks in between the rear seat. In your case, I don't see why you'd be on the fence. If you're gonna lay a foam mattress down you need a bench to fill the gap.

Back