255 on a Cobra R?

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
I know there are tons of threads about Cobra R's and rubbing, but most everyone has 275/55 tires. I am going to be ordering a set of 17X9 Cobra R's and I'm thinking about going with a 255/60. I tried using the search but didnt come up with much about this size on a Cobra R. Is there anyone out there with this setup? I'm interested in doing this because I don't want any rubbing and I would rather not use spacers. The tread width of the 255/60 is 10.2" and the 275/55 is 11". So, it's a little over 3/4" thinner which will only be about 3/8" on each side. Do you think 3/8" is enough to clear everything? My truck is lowered about 2.25" in the front. Please tell me about the rim rubbing too. I know there are some people that had to do some grinding but I'm still no sure what part they are talking about. Pics??? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... well, ive got 255/50's on the front (275/50 rear) and if yours turns out like mine it will not be the tire that rubs, its the inside of the wheel. it only rubs at full steering lock left/right, so as long as you dont go "all the way" with the steering wheel, it wont rub. i had mine on for a while with no mods, but my wife drives it sometimes. i told her, but she would forget and now both of my wheels have the inner lip ground down (thanx Brandy:p ) you could replace the steering stopper with a bolt. it is a little hard plastic/polymer "bumper" that is located on the spindle. just cut it out and stick a bolt in with a jam nut and now you've got an adjustable steering stop. i ground the lip off of the lower A-arm were the wheel rubbed. then i thought of the steering stop thing AFTER grinding them.:banghead:

any way you can post a pic of this lip. I have heard about it before but im not sure what lip it is.

give me about a week an i'll use up the roll in my camera and get 'em developed, then i'll scan 'em and post them here...

thats cool, thanks!

Ive got a first gen with r's on it, and I dont have any problem with the wheel rubbing, its the tire itself, but I dont really have that much problem with it unless its under full lock, mainly when I turn it to the left. i do have spacers, maybe that helps.

Yeah I'd love to see a pic of this too, I get rub only at full turn, but it's such an annoying noise I try not to turn all the way, it would make it easier for parralel parking too.

Well, Got them on the other day. Only get rub at full left turn. I also had to tie back the e-brake lines at the left rear (found that out a mile down the road :fire: ). Anyway, on my way to the mall to get a digital camera tonight so pics will be up as soon as I can figure out how to work the damn thing. :bounce:

ive got pix... i cant get them to work. my scanner program wants to open every freakin' picture with a program, not just show the picture. i am computer-illiterate. :confused:

Id like to help you but I'm not sure what you mean.

I got a digital camera last night and now its supposed to rain every freakin day for the next week. Maybe it will be sunny for a little bit so I can wash it and get some pics.

Back