• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen gas tank into a 1st Gen

94whiteX

Reaction score
City, State
Canton,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Ever since I got my X it has had a small gas leak. So since I'm in the middle of a SOA I figured it would be a good time to fix the gas leak. Boy was that a bad idea. First the skid plate has large rust holes in it, the straps ain't far behind. So I get the tank out and found the leak, it's the sender but the real problem is that the lock ring is rusted to almost nothing and the tabs that it locks into are...you got it rusted, almost to nothing. So everything gas tank related is junk. So what I wanted to know is has anyone ever used a 2nd gen tank in a first gen X? Where I work I can get a pretty nice second gen tank, straps and skid plate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know where to get a replacement tank for a 91 - 94 Explorer?

Wow. Don't get one from LMC. $799. That doesn't really seem right, you can buy a '91 BII tank for $99, or a '91 Explorer tank for $799?

Ya I have been looking for a new tank but had no luck, what's the deal with that. Anyone ever got a replacement tank anywhere?

Did you see the prices for some of the other parts? Filler pipe with hose $349.95 I think they have been sniffing the fumes from the $799 dollar tank.

Perhaps an aftermarket fuel cell from Summit Racing might work.

I did the 2nd Gen tank swap a few years ago...in preperation for the 5.0L swap I did last year.

I wanted to keep the front mounting location the same, so I was stuck using a Sport Tank. Not a big deal, really....it costs less to fill up....LOL

But I had to swap the front mount plate....the 2nd Gen tank bolts to that mount, where as the 1st gen just has a tab....

2nd Gen tanks are Steel. 1st Gen tanks are Plastic.
2ng Gen tanks have bolt in pump hangers/senders. 1st Gen use the lock ring.
2nd Gen tanks have additional sensors installed in them. (I left the sensors in place, unplugged while I was still OBD1) 1st Gens lack these sensors.
2nd Gen tanks put the filler tube inlet at the very top of the tank. 1st Gens are a couple inches down from the top.
2nd Gen tanks have a different connector for the pump/sender. But I was able to re-wire to work for my old OBD1 set-up, and my fuel level gauge FINALLY WORKED!...then I changed it back when I did the swap....all is well!

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan, now that I know that it has been done I will give it a shot. I can get a tank and the other parts from work on Monday. Thanks for the info. By any chance you have any pics?

Here is the pic you need to pay attention to:

(slightly edited)

The Purple Circle shows where the 1st gen plate mounts (and the 2nd Gen Sport Tank) to the frame.

The Yellow circle shows where you have to drill new holes for the 4 Door tank. Careful when drilling in this location. Brake lines and Fuel lines are directly below your drilling area. I think there is another hole to drill on the bottom of frame too.

The Green Circle shows the bolts that hold the tank to the plate.

Ryan

Attachments

• GasTank.jpg
    GasTank.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 676

That is perfect. Thanks for the info and the pictures. This is going to be my next project. I can get parts for the 2nd gen we have them, we just don't any first gens. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I did a bII gas tank swap in today-- had to change the pump and the guage onto the BII unit-- but it fits like a champ- used the same filler hole, and is great! just removed part of the spare tire carrier and it bolted right in.

Back