3.0 pinging

colindo94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cameron Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
So I bought a 2wd 99 ranger with a 3.0 and manual transmisssion to save gas on the road. I have changed the plugs and wires, cleaned MAF, IAC, New fuel filter, air filter, cleaned TB, and fule system cleaner. When I run a higher octain fuel it helps, but doesn't completly eliminate the ping. It only pings under a slight load at a certain rpm. I'm not sure what rpm's(no tach:rolleyes:) it pings most at, but there is a sweet spot were it's the worst. I'm thinking maybe I should change the o2 senser because its got a little over 90,000 miles on it. Any other ideas why i can't eliminate this annoying ping?

if its truly pinging your timing is probably to far advanced

exhaust leaks are sometimes mis-diagnosed as pinging, take a look at your exhaust manifolds for any cracks, broken studs or black soot marks indicating leaks.

also timing chain rattle can sound like pinging

Yea I could see that. I am almost positive that it's a ping. I also have a little problem with running rough when I'm at an idle. when i flip on the ac it smooths out. So it's like the idle is to low of rpm's and wants to die out. Could both of these problems be linked?

Sorry i didn't know I was on my bros name.

Back