• Register Today It's free!

3" BL and spare tire winch

baff2004

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Az / Nogales, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
What is going to happen when I put the 3" BL.... Will the spare tire winch still be of use? Is it connected to the body or the frame? I have the bumper brackets and all. Just don't know if the winch can be accessed anymore:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm..

I did a two inch body lift and drilled a hole for the spare jack two inches below the original, in that plastic trim above my bumper. You might be able to do something like that if you get the hole as low as you can..

lika dis...

attachment.php

I have a 3" bl and my hole is drilled behind the license plate. I dont have the pic anymore but i can take one for you if you want.

the spare winch is on the body. before lifting the body drop the spare just in case. Many people do drill a hole for the handle as already shown. The biggest tire you can get under there is a 31 though so if you are going bigger than that you wont be able to use it anyway

When I did my custom 1" BL I added 2 short 1" square tube sections under the winch and used longer bolts to bolt it back down. It is still tight and can be accessed through the stock hole location. I dont use it though because my spare wont fit under there (31")

thats a good idea however no way it would be stable with 3inches of spacing

The biggest tire you can get under there is a 31 though so if you are going bigger than that you wont be able to use it anyway

I run 33s, but my spare is a 31, it would be a hassle if I had a rear one go flat because of my locker, I would have to put a front tire on the back and put the spare on the front. The idea is I would limp to a tire shop to fix the flat, or if I ever get my on-board air hooked up I could patch the tire myself and hopefully not need the spare.

Before you go drilling holes in your bumper. When I installed my 3" BL, I used the bed support brackets from the kit drilled holed in the top and bottom and used them to raise the spare tire winch up 3" with the body.

Here are the pics:
4934im0011281.jpg

4934im0011261.jpg

That looks perfect, good job, I never thought of that, but I didn`t have to go through the bumper.

I did the same a big tig and I had absolutely no problems with it. DOnt go and drill you bumper up just do it with those 3" brackets. If course you canonly fit a 31 under there I think

Just throw the tire up on top on the roof rack or put it in the rear compartment. The underbody tire holder will not fit a tire bigger than 31 I believe.

Back