3" body lift with out stock spacers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3" body lift with out stock spacers?

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
92 4x4 4 door.
I bought a used 3"body lift and got a pretty good deal. But I think three inches might be a bit too much. I don't want to stretch the brake lines too much, and the kit didn't come with a shift extention.
Can I install the lift with out the stock body mounts? I think I'm supposed to leave them in for the full 3". Will the steering extention still work? Will I have to get shorter bolts?
IF i have to use the stock spacers, can i shave off a 1/2 inch or more from the lift blocks on the table saw?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tweakedlogic said:
92 4x4 4 door.
I bought a used 3"body lift and got a pretty good deal. But I think three inches might be a bit too much. I don't want to stretch the brake lines too much, and the kit didn't come with a shift extention.
Can I install the lift with out the stock body mounts? I think I'm supposed to leave them in for the full 3". Will the steering extention still work? Will I have to get shorter bolts?
IF i have to use the stock spacers, can i shave off a 1/2 inch or more from the lift blocks on the table saw?

First of all. no, you need those spacers (bushings) and it would probably be a good idea to replace them with some cool Red poly urathane ones (wish i would of done it when i had my body mounts out)

Furthermore, you wont stretch the brake lines at ALL. The suspention and the brakes will still work completely stock (one of the beauties of a body lift)

Yes you will need the shift extention, i forget where to get it... but it wasnt that expensive.

The steering extention will work. Some trucks (like mine) it doesnt work very well, infact it can work quite dangrously. Loss of steering control, and odd steering characteristics may be encounterd. there are a couple fixes you can try. One being loosing the bolts behind firewall, that hold the steering flange in place. Then oblonging those holes so the flange can be shifted downward about a half an inch or so... I dunno i tried it all and my steering STILL sucks... I will resorted to www.flaming-river.com for a new, custom fit steering shaft which will fix that.

Oh yeah, yes you can cut the blocks if you like. But you might as well of gotten the 2" lift then =)

with only 2" of lift, you still are only going to able to only fit 31's

I have heard tails of the poor steering and flexable brake lines binding at full droop, That's why I was thinking about leaving the stock bushings out. I only paid $50 for the kit, and I did want a 2". I would rather not cut them, but I guess I'll install them with out tightening the bolts and see what happens.

Cutting them has been done. You must keep them perfectly square and get new hardware.

I woud try to resell the kit for a little profit and then get your 2" one.

Oh and for the brake lines. The ones going from the frame to the axles will stay the same. Alot of the limiting factor with stock suspension is the shocks.

Thanks guys. I do have trailmaster shocks. All of this is to get me by until I find an old f-150 for the SAS.

Back