3 of 6 Plugs Fouled?

Slybarger

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Granite City,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4 Door
After doing a plug & wire change, I laid out the plugs and noticed that all 3 from the driver side, to be running lean. And the passenger side plugs were almost compleatly fouled out. The truck at the time (befor the change) was cold natured to say the least. Now it starts and idles perfectly on the first try. I'm pretty sure the is still an problem somewhere to cause this. ANY IDEAS? I don't want to be changeing plugs in a month from fouling out again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd service the intake manifold gaskets and also clean the fuel injection system.

it is possible someone switched the o2 senssor plugs when they installed new ones

I've heard of those symptoms coming from having crosswired the O2 sensors (assuming you have a '93 with 2 O2 sensors). Any chance you've got them plugged in backwards?
It's never a bad idea to pull codes. I would be particularly interested in the results of the KOER test.

Billy177 said:
it is possible someone switched the o2 senssor plugs when they installed new ones
Well I bought the truck from a young couple, that used it as a second vehicle. I doubt they did any maintinace themselves. With that in mind, if that was done, it was done by Ford. They didn't live far from the Ford plant in Missouri and had their dealer do all the work. But anything is possible.

How will I know which goes where? Are they O2 plugs different colors?

nope the same color

Check a wiring diagram. Left and Right O2 sensors use a different color signal wire.

Unfortunatly I don't have a "Good" manual for this truck. Just a Hayes. I'll climb under there tomarrow and check which is currently going where anyway.
THANKS GUYS!!

The vehicle repair guides at www.autozone.com have ok wiring diagrams. I expect they would be good enough for this operation.

Back