Fouled plug and missing

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
250 mile drive home the sat between xmas and new years last week. Explorer started the trip fine and seemed to run great. About 100 miles from home experienced a slight sputter. It was all 100 highway till the last 5 miles to my house. That slight sputter lasted maybe 10 seconds, then cleaned right up. Nothing else odd till I got near my house. First red light of the trip basically where it was at idle, I noticed it was missing. At RPM it seemed fine but low around idle it definitely was missing.

Got home, pulled plugs. Cylinder on the pass side closest to the firewall definitely had a fouled plug. Checked spark and looked great. The plugs and wires are less then 8 months old by the way. Gap on the plug was good too. Slapped in a fresh plug and it ran great! The next day I drove another 200+ miles and then it was parked for 3 days followed by a 200+ return drive. All good again. Then last Thurs/Fri I noticed that if I drove it long enough for it to warm up, and then ran in a store or someplace and had it turned off for a few minutes, on start up it would billow blue smoke for about 5-10 seconds. Then clear up. Ran fine... I put another 500 miles or so on it this weekend and other then on initial start up with that puff of smoke sometimes it seems to be fine. It does seem to have a slight miss at idle though till it warms up to full temp.

Any ideas? Kinda thinking maybe a bad valve seat or seal or something that's allowing a bit of oil to leak down into the cylinder when shut off yet not bad enough to make it run bad? Could be a cause for the slight miss, once it warms up and cleans up a bit at temperature the plug is able to fire again.

Thoughts?

Might be any of the things you suggested... I would do a compression and leakdown test and try to isolate which cylinder, and pull the valve cover to inspect the valvetrain as much as was possible.

Back