32"s rub with 4" trail master lift (what to do?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

32"s rub with 4" trail master lift (what to do?)

xplorx4

Reaction score
City, State
NW Chicago Suburbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
I have a 93' Explorer that I just had installed a 4" trail master suspension lift, 32"x11.50" BFG MUD TERRAINS on 8 inch wheels.

The front tires rub when you turn the wheels (rub behind the front tires), I already removed the front piece of the ground effects, and it still rubs. IF I cut the fenders how much would I need to cut? or should I put 31"x10.50" tires on it How much smaller will they look, the 32"s look pretty good. (Does anyone have any ideas of what to do)
I don't want to install a body lift because the truck still fits in the garage, also the tires will look too small with 3" more lift
WHAT TO DO!!??

XPLORX4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it rub all the time? When I first lifted mine the 33s I had rubbed on the black plastic in the wheel well behind the left front tire. I took a heat gun and heated up the plastic while at the same time pressing on it w/ a hammer. It moved back just eough so that they don't rub anymore

When you have the wheels straight there seems to be good clearance. when you turn the wheel about half steer and hit a small bump it rubs,(its worse in reverse) I already removed the plastic ground effects which I liked.( just the front piece)they are hitting the metal part of the fender, and I dont really want to cut it and I like the ground effects

thanks for replying

If you want to stay with the 32"s, you will have to grind the metal part or else it wil tear your tires up. It's a trial and error process, you won't know it until you tried it and see if it still rubs.

I have the Rancho 2.5" lift and am running 32", I had to trim the fenders, and a little bit off the flanges on the radius arms to clear the tires.

KVO did or do you still have the plastic ground effects on the truck or am I just going to have to remove them and cover the holes for them. and also change the flares. what do you have for flares?

thanks, xplorx4

I never had the ground effect package. I do have the Bushwacker flares and had to trim the bottom portion out. I can find some pictures of the trimming and send it to you.

Yea that would be cool if you could e-mail me some pictures.

thanks for the info, xplorx4

I have a 92 XLT with the Rancho 4" w/31's.. I will email you a picture of it.. My future plans are to install a body lift and 33's.. but for now it looks pretty good with the 31's...

------------------
CJ
1992 XLT 4" w/31's
1998 Crown Vic

yea that would be cool blue oval fan if you could e-mail me a pic I would like to see what it looks like.

thanks, xplorx4

xplorx4,, Hey I sent the pics to you.. did you get them ?

------------------
CJ
1992 XLT 4" w/31's

To BLUE OVAL FAN, no I never recieved the pics of your 4" lift with 31" tires.

my e-mail is FOURFORTY2@aol.com

Does anyone else have a 4" lift with either 31's , 32's or 33's and have pictures?

thanks, xplorx4

Back