• Register Today It's free!

What to do to fit 31"s or 32"s?

JPFREEK

Reaction score
City, State
Federal Way, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I have a 1995 XLT Explorer.. I'm only looking to make it look less "stock".. It's still going to be just a pavement pounder for the most part (exception of some forest service roads and such).. (I have a lifted '95 Jeep w/ 35"s for the actual trails).

So, being that my wife and I have 2 other lifted Jeeps for trail purposes, my explorer (which we purchased from her parents) is going to be a commuter/grocery gopher only. (save for packing in the gear for camping.. The Jeep sucks in this duty).

I've been reading about doing a TT and longer shackles in the rear.. which brings me to my questions!

1: Would I be able to fit 31"s or 32x11.50's with just doing a TT and shackles (I'm assuming about 2" of lift with this? (*also note I won't be flexing on a trail with this rig*)

2: What is the stock Explorer Rim size? Will I be able to put 31x11.50/10.50's or 32x11.50's on these rims? (http://www.section525.com/xpage/images/photos/1012.jpg = these are the stock rims I have)

3: What is the rear leaf spring width? Would running Jeep YJ shackles work (I have some of these already and my rear leafs on my Jeep are 2 1/4" wide) (ironically, I have a Ford 8.8 out of a '97 X in the back of my Jeep YJ")

4: w/ the 3.73 stock gearing the explorer has, is that low enough for 31"s or 32"s without having to change gears?

5: How far off would the speedo gear be after this "lift"? Would it need to be changed out?

6: Would the drivelines need to be modified?

I know it's a lot of questions.. but I've only worked on Jeeps pretty much..

Sell the jeeps and turn the X into ULTRAGROCERYGETTER.

Stock rim size is 15 x 7 or 5 x8

Im running 31 by 10.5's on stock rims with shackles and TT with no problems.

Dont know about the jeep shackles,
go measure the X leafs and see if they'd work.

Sell the jeeps and turn the X into ULTRAGROCERYGETTER.

Stock rim size is 15 x 7 or 5 x8

Im running 31 by 10.5's on stock rims with shackles and TT with no problems.

Dont know about the jeep shackles,
go measure the X leafs and see if they'd work.

lol.. yeah.. got too much money into the Jeeps to sell them.. lol

But, it was interesting to know that the x's front end is a dana 35 and the rear is the 8.8 (which I already knew about the rear axle).. Jeep wrangler stock rear ends are dana 35's.. and the 8.8 is a popular swap for the rear of Wranglers because of the disk brakes, same bolt pattern, and increase of strength over the stock dana 35's.. :D

Anyway.. I'm currently running 35"s on my Jeep with a 15x8 wheel.. 15x7 rims you can run up to an 11.5" tire.. so that's good to know.

Back