3rd generation rear upper ball joints | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd generation rear upper ball joints

Seanmarty93

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
All my research has lead me to believe that you can not replace the rear upper ball joints on a 3rd generation explorer without replacing the entire upper control arm. I did have a "kid" at Autozone on the phone who was telling me that he carried the replacement ball joints for the rear uppers. I had him double check that he had the correct year, model, ect. and he assured me he indeed did have the correct info. Upon searching ebay I found what supposevly is the rear upper ball joints. I have provided a link to them below. That being said, has anyone ever replaced the rear uppers and if so any advice on getting the old ones out and back in?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-REAR-UPPE...rd|Model:Explorer&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b2f303f2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't confirm what AZ is telling you, but the fronts definitely can be pressed out. Not sure why the rears would be different.

The issue here is that where Ford OEM control arms have NON-replaceable ball joints, SOME of the aftermarket arms available DO have replaceable ball joints. This means if a guy's vehicle is found to have replaceable balls, and the vehicle came from Ford originally with integral balls, the arm was already replaced with an aftermarket item. imp

imp, I'm confused. Are you saying there is no way that a vehicle could have OEM replaceable ball joints unless an aftermarket control arm was installed at the factory? I'm the original owner of my EX and it has the stock control arms. I pressed the ball joints out on both sides myself.

I haven't heard of any success stories of replacing the upper ball joint at the rear by pressing it out. There's a guy that pressed it out but the ball joint was not flushed (height issue) to the upper control arm that it is rubbing inside the rim. If that part being sold in ebay is a motorcraft I bet it might work but looking at it seems not. They say this part is a dealer item only and made to order, but I'm seeing aftermarket such as mevotech available in rockauto. I think if you buy an aftermarket upper control arm with ball joint then you can press it out later with the same brand.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

imp, I'm confused. Are you saying there is no way that a vehicle could have OEM replaceable ball joints unless an aftermarket control arm was installed at the factory? I'm the original owner of my EX and it has the stock control arms. I pressed the ball joints out on both sides myself.

Seems to be so on 3rd. gen vehicles, 2nd. had non-replaceable balls up front from factory, but I am not positive this was not carried over to 3rd. My apologies if I'm wrong.

In any case, it may for some be nearly as easy, and surely more beneficial, to replace the whole damn arm anyway, as the inner rubber bushings are usually pretty bad by the time a ball joint "drops it's load". imp

Pet575 I'm just curious when you say you pressed out the ball joints on both sides yourself. Was it a 3rd Generation (02-05) and was it the rear uppers? The front uppers and lowers as well as the rear lowers can definitely be replaced on the third Generations. Everything I have read has led me to believe the only solution is to replace the original rear upper control arms in order to replace the ball joints. What esclamada is saying makes sense. However, I was just curious if a ball joint manufacturer saw an opportunity to make some money and started producing ball joints that would work. Clearly it is possible, as the post on this site states the fella who removed the original ball joints and replaced them. It was just the fact that the ball joint was the wrong size for a height clearance issue.

IMP has a valid point on replacing the entire arm as the bushings in the control arm are more than likely in need of replacing. It just blows to have to dish out $128 dollars (Best price I found online at partgeeks) for the entire arm instead of $20 for just a ball joint. I have been laid off for two months now so money is a little tight, however that ball joint is in serious need of replacement. It is my wife's everyday driver and I worry about her safety. The front uppers are in just as bad of shape. Seems like this kind of thing always happens at exactly the worst possible time!!! LOL

Guys let me be clear, I'm only saying that I did it myself on my 2004 on the FRONT uppers and I'm the only owner so those were OEM control arms. The only point I'm attempting to make is that it makes no sense to me that these 3rd Gens would have removable ball joints on only half the vehicle. Seems like it would cost Ford a lot more money to have different control arms on the front and rear but maybe it makes no difference.

I'm NOT saying I've pressed out the rear uppers. I've never even looked at them. You guys might be absolutely right about the bushings on the rear uppers. The fronts were perfectly fine when I changed mine but I'm not sure that really makes a bit of difference for purposes of this discussion.

Pet575 I'm just curious when you say you pressed out the ball joints on both sides yourself. Was it a 3rd Generation (02-05) and was it the rear uppers? The front uppers and lowers as well as the rear lowers can definitely be replaced on the third Generations. Everything I have read has led me to believe the only solution is to replace the original rear upper control arms in order to replace the ball joints. What esclamada is saying makes sense. However, I was just curious if a ball joint manufacturer saw an opportunity to make some money and started producing ball joints that would work. Clearly it is possible, as the post on this site states the fella who removed the original ball joints and replaced them. It was just the fact that the ball joint was the wrong size for a height clearance issue.

IMP has a valid point on replacing the entire arm as the bushings in the control arm are more than likely in need of replacing. It just blows to have to dish out $128 dollars (Best price I found online at partgeeks) for the entire arm instead of $20 for just a ball joint. I have been laid off for two months now so money is a little tight, however that ball joint is in serious need of replacement. It is my wife's everyday driver and I worry about her safety. The front uppers are in just as bad of shape. Seems like this kind of thing always happens at exactly the worst possible time!!! LOL

heres a link from a thread on how to replace just the front upper ball joints

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249135

its a great write up...if money is tight you might just want to replace the front upper ball joints to save a few dollars on the whole control arm...as for the rear im not sure...i havent come across it myself to see...but if the control arm is available for a decent price (oem control arm im assuming) then i say go for that... goodluck :thumbsup:

Back