3rd Row Headrest Stuck (Manual) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Headrest Stuck (Manual)

So we picked up a 2020 Explorer XLT the other day. It has the manual flio down 3rd row.
I noticed that something was wrong when we looked on the lot but to me this wasn't a deal breaker as it is just somehting to fix.
Anyway I took one apart last night and confirmed that there is a failure inside the headrest mechanism.

There is a cam that pulls with the cable. The cable is connected to another cam down in the seat so that it pulls this headrest cable at the same time as the cable to release the seat from the upright position.
The cam in the headrest seems to be designed this way so that the first inch or so of strap pull will release the headrest upright locking cam and then the cam/spool thing continues to rotate with the pulling of the main strap/cable but does nothing after that. At this point the continued pulling of the main strap will then pull the second cable (not shown here) to drop the seat itself from the upright position.

View attachment 445999

The spool was ok. The arm hinging over to the right has a extension that connects into the cam of the spool on left. Looks like the end of that arm that rides in the groove broke off.
View attachment 446000

So now I will be either finding a way to re engineer these (DIY fix) or see about replacing them.
We got a 3 yr warranty so we can probably just try to use that. But i often just get the warranties for the major issues to be covered (drive train etc) and fix the small stuff myself anyway.
For now I got the one so the headrest is just unlocked and drops down for now.

Anyone know of replacement headrest mechanisms besides the dealer?
Junk yards would be where I'd start, or ebay, someone selling parts off of wrecked cars.
car-part.com lets you search most junkyards with inventory online.
Also try to look for the actual part on a ford parts site and see what all it might be used on.

I
I always use Levittown Ford for parts searches but they don't appear to get down to the smaller internal items.
Levittown is a Forum vendor offering members a discount. You could try calling them and speak to Benny about what you need.

Peter
I bought the parts at the local dealership down the street from me.
About $50 each

Here's the process of replacing them and a dissection of the failed parts.

So we picked up a 2020 Explorer XLT the other day. It has the manual flio down 3rd row.
I noticed that something was wrong when we looked on the lot but to me this wasn't a deal breaker as it is just somehting to fix.
Anyway I took one apart last night and confirmed that there is a failure inside the headrest mechanism.

There is a cam that pulls with the cable. The cable is connected to another cam down in the seat so that it pulls this headrest cable at the same time as the cable to release the seat from the upright position.
The cam in the headrest seems to be designed this way so that the first inch or so of strap pull will release the headrest upright locking cam and then the cam/spool thing continues to rotate with the pulling of the main strap/cable but does nothing after that. At this point the continued pulling of the main strap will then pull the second cable (not shown here) to drop the seat itself from the upright position.

View attachment 445999

The spool was ok. The arm hinging over to the right has a extension that connects into the cam of the spool on left. Looks like the end of that arm that rides in the groove broke off.
View attachment 446000

So now I will be either finding a way to re engineer these (DIY fix) or see about replacing them.
We got a 3 yr warranty so we can probably just try to use that. But i often just get the warranties for the major issues to be covered (drive train etc) and fix the small stuff myself anyway.

I just tore mine apart and have the exact same problem. Did you end up DIY or ordering a new complete headrest mechanism? Ford sure knows where to find quality plastic. My gas pedal snapped a few months ago too :)

View attachment 445999

View attachment 446000

Back