3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Power Button cover / disable switch needed

I sure wish Ford had installed a switch that disables the 3rd row seat control.

I had ours packed for a trip and when I was moving an item it bumped the seat controls and caused the seat to try and fold up on the cargo.

Not a happy situation!
It's happened to me SO MANY TIMES. I've put the middle school STEAM students on a mission to CODE a cover for it using the 3D printer. I've seen older models with the buttons having a flip up cover. We will see!!!! I had it close on our bikes that were in the back. I took it to the dealer and went to the service area and had them get the bikes out b/c as you know, you can't "undo" it. It MUST finish it's job before being "willing" to reverse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's happened to me SO MANY TIMES. I've put the middle school STEAM students on a mission to CODE a cover for it using the 3D printer. I've seen older models with the buttons having a flip up cover. We will see!!!! I had it close on our bikes that were in the back. I took it to the dealer and went to the service area and had them get the bikes out b/c as you know, you can't "undo" it. It MUST finish it's job before being "willing" to reverse.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Im sure its been mentioned here somewhere, but here's the cover

I use my Explorer in my little airport transportation business. I picked up a family at the Ritz Carlton. Mom got her kid with his booster seat in the 3rd row and the valet loading their luggage bumped the button. I couldnt see the kid and all I heard was mommy, mommy, mommy. No damage to the kid, the luggage or the car, I dont think the valet or I got a tip from those folks
So I got one of these
IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1066.jpg

Less than 10.00 on fleabay.com

20210127_141307.jpg

Accidentally hitting the fold buttons is so easy, especially when someone not familiar with the faulty design is placing or taking something out of the cargo area. I ordered the cheap cover from Ebay and it was a poor solution. First, the fake 3M tape didn't stick so I had to cut my own. Next someone knocked it off when loading the cargo area. So, I did the power switch thing. I used some cheap plastic trim tools to remove the switch from the rear inside trim. I copied another post here: I removed the round power port and the metal insert, cut the brown power wire and spliced in one of these switches ordered from Amazon Amazon product ASIN B07S1MV462 The power port cover folds down to cover the rocker switch. We leave switch in off position until needed. No one or nothing can accidentally fold the seats unless the rocker switch is in the on position. Cheap and easy enough Ford shoulda done it long ago.

Accidentally hitting the fold buttons is so easy, especially when someone not familiar with the faulty design is placing or taking something out of the cargo area. I ordered the cheap cover from Ebay and it was a poor solution. First, the fake 3M tape didn't stick so I had to cut my own. Next someone knocked it off when loading the cargo area. So, I did the power switch thing. I used some cheap plastic trim tools to remove the switch from the rear inside trim. I copied another post here: I removed the round power port and the metal insert, cut the brown power wire and spliced in one of these switches ordered from Amazon Amazon product ASIN B07S1MV462 The power port cover folds down to cover the rocker switch. We leave switch in off position until needed. No one or nothing can accidentally fold the seats unless the rocker switch is in the on position. Cheap and easy enough Ford shoulda done it long ago.

Seems like overkill... The cheap one pictured in my post above works fine, The cover over the power outlet broke off, since I took the picture, but a little Gorilla tape fixed that

Back