4.0 Litre coolant tube

cthudak

Reaction score
City, State
seattle wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi ,
I replaced all my heater hoses the other day on my 97 Ranger 4.0 Ltr, and noticed the metal coolant tube attached to the intake manifold was rusty / pitted. I cleaned up the tube and reassembled, and so far no leaks, but I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy a replacement tube, rather than replacing the entire manifold. It appears the tube is pressed into the manifold (no visible threads).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be sure to get all the grease and grime off it, and then paint it with POR15. The stuff works wonders on stopping rust. It comes in black, grey, clear, and I think silver.
You should be able to get a 4 oz can for about $9.

Thanks for the suggestion....Even if the paint stops the corrosion, I'm worried that the pitted surface wont make a good seal with the heater hose.

Thanks for the suggestion....Even if the paint stops the corrosion, I'm worried that the pitted surface wont make a good seal with the heater hose.

Use some JB Weld to cover the area of the pits and then sand it smooth. Kinda like Bondo, for smoothing the body, but in a more durable, heat and water resistant material. Or you could just polish the metal, if the pits aren't too deep.

Carguysj, thanks for the ideas, if it starts leaking again, i'll give it a try

Back