• Register Today It's free!

4.0 rebuild

bamaexplorerfan

Reaction score
City, State
Rainbow City, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2002 Sport and with 165k on the motor and trans its getting time to do some work. I have done some searching of the threads and I have seen where some people have rebuilt/replaced the 4.0 and where some people swapped a 5.0 in. From a cool factor I am all about the 5.0, but I also need to be reasonable on what I do. I am fine rebuilding/replacing the 4.0 as the engine has served me well for all but the 20k miles the first owner put on it. So here is where I need opinions, should I rebuild/replace the engine and stay with a 4.0 or should I go to a 5.0? If I did go to a 5.0 how different is the gas millage at highway travel (I commute for work)? Also with the 5.0 swap how involved is the swap really? Some threads make it seem easy, some seem like a hassle. All advice will be most appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. Since your Sport is a 2wd the 5.0 swap would be a bit easier than if it was 4wd. There is some wiring involved, but it's not to bad. I would much rather do the swap on a 2wd than a 4wd myself. Besides the motor, transmission, driveshaft, exhaust, you would need the Explorer 5.0 ABS module and G-sensor, or something like the Speed Changer from Terf for the proper VSS signal.

The 4.0 SOHC is a good engine, but with all the timing components, vs the 5.0 single timing chain I prefer the 5.0 myself. However if you can find a good 05 or up 4.0 engine from say a Explorer, Ranger, Mustang with less miles, than that is also a good swap. The 4.0 seems to respond alright to some bolt ons.

5.0l pcm

If you swap your 4.0L with a 5.0L you'll need a compatible PCM and PATS keys and components recognized by the PCM. I don't know why you would need to swap the 4WABS module. If your Sport is like my 2000 the rear axle sensor porvides a signal to the 4WABS that conditions it and sends a vehicle speed signal to the PCM. Unless you change the rear axle ratio it seems to me that the existing 4WABS would work. There's a jumper for the tachometer that must be changed when switching from 6 to 8 cyliinders. The electronic issues are usually more challenging than the mechanical issues for the V8 swap.

As far as power adders for the SOHC V6, I installed a complete high flow intake and exhaust manifold outlet back high flow exhaust and only gained 20 rwhp. High flow heads and higher performance cams are available from Tom Morana Racing and Super Six Motorsportsbut expensive because of limited demand and production. For more significant gains Morana sells a 4.0L to 4.3L stroker kit (+30 rwhp) or there is the custom forced induction (+50 rwhp) option using a supercharger or turbocharger.

On the late 01-03 Sport and 01-05 Sport Trac the VSS signal doesn't come from the ABS module, it comes from the PCM, the way which it receives the signal is different. If you were fortunate to have one of the early 01 Job 1 Sport/Sport Trac models then it came from the ABS module, it was a Ford thing. That's why they call the 01 Sport/Sport Trac a Job 1 or Job 2 model. The Job 1 was more like the 2000 Explorer, same intake, same VSS signal source, same Pats B, but the Job 2 is different intake, different VSS signal source, and Pats E.

Still swapping a 5.0 and 4R70W into a Job 2 isn't to difficult, there is some wiring to do, but it can be done. Some guys get a tuner to eliminate Pats but you can actually swap Pats B into a Pats E Sport/Sport Trac with a bit of wiring involved.

As 2000StreetRod mentioned there are companies that support the 4.0 but it can be expensive to mod, also Zabtek offers products for the 4.0 as well.

analog vs digital interface

Thanks for the information about Job 1 and Job 2 Sports. The Job 2 Sports must have the digital instrument cluster interface instead of the analog interface mine has. If so, they would only have engine coolant temperature sensor while I have two: one for the PCM and one for the instrument cluster. I'll have to check out Zabtek since I'm not familiar with them.

Edit: Zabtek doesn't sell any engine internal components.

Yeah Zabtek just has external bolt ons, but they did have the Random Technology y-pipes, and cat pipe, pulleys, c&l maf, few other items available.

My 01 Sport Job 2 has both sensors on the thermostat housing, it also has the white face analog gauges.

Back