4.0 SOHC doesn't like to start in cold weather! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC doesn't like to start in cold weather!

00ExplorerSprt

Reaction score
City, State
Winthrop, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
My Ford Explorer has troubles starting as it gets colder. For the past few weeks, when I start it and it is under 30 degrees, it revs normal for a second or two, then it revs really low and stalls.. if I keep the revs up to 3000 and compensate when it tries to stall, it will eventually warm up and run fine. This morning in particular, once I started going, the engine sounded very unhealthy, like the pistons were not firing correctly.. this lasted for only a few minutes in the beginning of my commute to work.

I thought it might be a problem with the Mass Air Sensor or something to do with the air to fuel ratio so I tried cleaning the MAF with canned air (without touching the filament) and disconnected the battery for just over an hour to reset the computer. I also replaced the Air filter and disconnected the battery again.

This is a 2000 Explorer Sport with only 39,950 miles on it. It is really frustrating me! Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the lower intake manifold 00M12 leak. Your X was not suppose to leak because it is a newer model. I would take a propane torch, turn it on without lighting it, run the torch around the lower intake manifold on a cold morning and see if you can identify the leak. If the idle starts to rev when the torch is in a certain place then that is where the problem is.

Good Luck,
mikeh

Actually Mike, ONP 00M12 applies to all '97 - '00 SOHC Explorers & Mountaineers and all '97 - '01 Explorer Sports & Sport Tracs built from job #1 through April 7, 2000. His would still have the faulty o-rings. Definately start there since it is free. If ONP 00M12 isn't the cause then the IAC valve is another possibility.

I spoke to a technician at a dealer and the only that they said that was available as a recall program was the 00M12 program regarding the cam chain issue. Is this all part of the same issue? They advised me that they heard nothing of this issue with the faulty O Rings on the lower intake manifold. I also called that ford phone number and spoke to a customer service rep and she didn't tell me anything different. At this point it sounds like it is going to cost me $69.95 minimum to hook it up to a computer and have them diagnose it. I have an apppointment for Thursday.

This is the third time that I will have take me Sport in since I bought it in April!

Print these two pages and give them to the Service Advisor when you drop it off. He should already have it though since it is the letter that Ford sent to the dealers. Be sure and highlight the section regarding the o-rings. ONP 00M12 covers both the o-rings and the tensioners.

109700m12-1__dealer_letter_.jpg

109700m12-2__dealer_letter_.jpg

Thanks for all the information. I printed it out. I intend to have them do the fix for the 00m12 issue and I pray that this takes care of all my issues for years to come!

Now, for another note, has anyone tried the MAC air intake system? Thanks

Dropped the explorer off this morning. I was told that they will only do the 00m12 fix if they can prove that the tensioner is not working properly, otherwise, I will have to pay to have the o-rings replaced and pay for it. Interesting. We'll see.

The letter says that if either the O-ring problem or the tensioner problem is found then they should replace both. Specifically says that at the top of the second page of the letter.

If they are giving you the run around on a Ford issued TSB I would talk with their service manager. Make sure you take that letter with you. If they still try and dick you around contact Ford directly and notify them of the problem.

After this you might want to look for a new Ford dealer.

Everything is good to go! I had the recall done with no hassel! It was finally cold this morning.. only 14 degrees and it started up just as good as my reliable 93 Ranger! Thank you guys for the information. It was very helpful.

Thanks

Tyler

Back