• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC engine Compatability

Bergie144

Reaction score
City, State
Shakopee, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Sport
I have a '01 Ranger 4.0L SOHC with a bad engine. I would like to put in a '03 4.0L SOHC in the Truck. Will an engine from an Explorer Fit? Is there any problems putting a '03 engine in a '01 Truck? I want to put an '03 in because that is when Ford upgraded the Cam Chain Tensioner.

Let me know

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be fine.

-Drew

I changed a 2004 sohc motor from a manual Ranger to a 1999 auto Explorer. The motors are the same but you have to change every thing over, including the injectors and the injector rail. I left the 2004 injectors and rail in and I am having trouble getting the motor tuned. The problem is the computer is set up for 19lb injectors and the new motor has 24lb injectors.

if you are good enough to pull the engine, why dont you just change the timing chains etc, the new parts cost < 200 USD. the front primary parts come in a kit, its not that hard to set the timing, just buy the special tools and sell them on again - you will be able to sell them for what you paid for them (about $150). The entire procedure only takes a day after you pull the engine - it takes longer to pull the engine than fix the timing noise!

if you are good enough to pull the engine, why dont you just change the timing chains etc, the new parts cost < 200 USD. the front primary parts come in a kit, its not that hard to set the timing, just buy the special tools and sell them on again - you will be able to sell them for what you paid for them (about $150). The entire procedure only takes a day after you pull the engine - it takes longer to pull the engine than fix the timing noise!

You didn't read my post, I have a bad engine!!!
Not a problem with the Cam Chain. I want to buy an engine that has the Cam chain problem already fixed in it! So I do not have to buy the tools, and the kit and take a day to fix!!!

I found a '03 Ranger 4.0 SOHC with 17K miles on it for $750

I installed the engine with the wiring harness that came with the engine. I also purchased the ECU that went with the engine so I would not get any EGR errors comming from the '01 ECU.

My first problem was the engine would not start. I forgot the key code was in the ECU. I put the old '01 ECU back in to get the truck going. The Truck runs great, but I have two problems.
1. The Speedometer does not work
2. I get a OD light blinking. Was ther a change in the wiring harness from '01 to '03? Will the problem go away with the '03 ECU?

I found a '03 Ranger 4.0 SOHC with 17K miles on it for $750:naughty:

I installed the engine with the wiring harness that came with the engine. I also purchased the ECU that went with the engine so I would not get any EGR errors comming from the '01 ECU.

My first problem was the engine would not start. I forgot the key code was in the ECU. I put the old '01 ECU back in to get the truck going. The Truck runs great, but I have two problems.
1. The Speedometer does not work
2. I get a OD light blinking. Was ther a change in the wiring harness from '01 to '03? Will the problem go away with the '03 ECU?
I hope you have better luck in ironing out the bugs with your motor than I have.
I can't find anyone to tune my motor so I have had the old injectors reconditioned and will install them this weekend. I hope they fit in the new motor injector rail.
Time will tell

I hope you have better luck in ironing out the bugs with your motor than I have.
I can't find anyone to tune my motor so I have had the old injectors reconditioned and will install them this weekend. I hope they fit in the new motor injector rail.
Time will tell

I just wanted to say thanks for your response. The '03 engine works great in my '01. The engine feels stronger than the orginal. The acceleration is better, the low end torque feels stronger. It may be just my imagination, but it feels stronger.
I see on the engine Ford made a lot of improvements to the wiring harness, Better connectors especially the fuel injector connectors. Intake manifold gaskets are better.

There is sooo much more room under the hood without the EGR setup. I am glad I went with the '03 as a replacement.

The Transmission problem turned out to be a rock was not allowing me to plug in the speedometer sensor cable completely. Once I found the problem Everything was fine.

Thanks again

Back