• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC hose diagram

FordJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
NYB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
There's some hoses off the air intake and I think my mechanic mis-routed one. I might have to start going to a different shop. They previously screwed up the PCV and I had to return and show them diagrams and get them to do it correctly. My truck is running rough, and I think they have a hose going to the wrong spot. I'm about to go pull my cover off, but while I'm doing that I think someone might be able to chime in and tell me, ideally with a picture, where this hose plugs in to.

My BEFORE picture shows the hose in the lower left (further lest with duct tape), in a sharp "L" and over toward the intake throttle body area
DSC04372.JPG

AFTER pictures. So, I had the shop do some work, and when they put it back together they have the same hose routed differently too far up on the engine somewhere. They could not get the cover on all the way, which should have been a hint. Truck idles roughly. I suspect this is the issue. If someone has a correct picture with the engine cover off, it would be very helpful. I have some pressing matters but want to deal with this in a few hours so pictures would be helpful.

P1000755.JPG

P1000756.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks rite to me just be sure those hoses have no leaks or it will run like crap

I would watch the hoses while the engine is running at idle and at a fast idle, to see if the hoses are collapsing under engine vacuum. As mentioned above listen and check for leaks.

No...that hose needs to be moved further forward (basically running above the back of the alternator) and under the forward section of cutout on side of the cover. That's why the cover isn't sitting down where it belongs.

No...that hose needs to be moved further forward (basically running above the back of the alternator) and under the forward section of cutout on side of the cover. That's why the cover isn't sitting down where it belongs.

That's my conclusion. I got sidetracked on a different task but tomorrow I'm going to tackle this. I wish I could find a accurate photograph of where the hose goes.

Why is your vacuum chamber thing not secured underneath the upper intake manifold?

Mine is clipped to the fuel rail I believe.

Oh I see now
I misunderstood your question
My bad
I may have some pics ill look

Why is your vacuum chamber thing not secured underneath the upper intake manifold?

Mine is clipped to the fuel rail I believe.
Yep...that vacuum chamber belongs under the upper intake manifold; although it probably isn't hurting anything laying where it's at. It does beg the question of what was the shop doing that required it be moved in the first place?

Yep...that vacuum chamber belongs under the upper intake manifold; although it probably isn't hurting anything laying where it's at. It does beg the question of what was the shop doing that required it be moved in the first place?

Is it possible to point to what the vacuum chamber is?

I had a leaky manifold gasket with idling problems, so the gasket had to be replaced. So the had to take a bunch of stuff off the top to do the work. I spent a full day figuring out the PCV before this and had it installed correctly. They reinstalled it incorrectly. I was having problems, took it back, showed them this forum and pictures, and the finally get the PCV correct. But they obviously routed some other things wrong too... I've just about had it with this shop FYI.

It is that torpedo shaped plastic chamber, about 10” long, next to the manifold in one pic, next to the trans dipstick in another.

That belongs under the manifold, clipped to the fuel rail.

These guys were not paying attention when they took everything apart.

DSC04372_kindlephoto-133641854.jpg

On the fuel rail as stated above

DSC04372_kindlephoto-143048836.jpg

This is totally unacceptable, this is nothing more than a quick hack job. I hope they didn't charge you much for it. One, the breather hose furthest upstresm on the air intake tube is not even flush againt the tube making a leak very possible. Two, that is a 5/8" heater hose going to the IAC adapter. I would go to the salvage yard and find a good one or buy one off of ebay. Three, that long tube goes to the variable intake system (VIS) and evap system. You'll have to remove the intake again to tuck it under where it's suppose to go. Do yourself a favor, and find some competent mechanics somewhere else. This is why I let no one but myself work on my Explorer.

To the OP...are you still wrestling with this issue? I can help with photos and correct hoses if needed.

To the OP...are you still wrestling with this issue? I can help with photos and correct hoses if needed.

@XLTrunner
I've emailed my mechanic the items referenced. Still awaiting a reply, ideally with an appointment to bring it in. Until then, the vehicle is unfortunately sidelined and un-usable. I don't know if it will cause damage to continue to drive it this way, and don't want to risk it. I could try to tackle myself but this should be fixed by the mechanic under a warranty if they reinstalled things wrong.

If you happen to be able to take pictures that is always helpful. Thanks!

You can start by showing your mechanic that this is where/how the vacuum canister is mounted underneath the intake manifold. Again, as long as the vacuum hose is connected, it really doesn't matter where it sits as far as performance is concerned.

Next is the IAC tube that needs to be installed in it's correct position. Here is a photo of the correct tube for a '97/'98 SOHC and another showing how it's routed under the intake manifold. Note the straight section of tubing is zip tied to the underside of the right side of the intake manifold at the rear. Also note, this is correct for the style IAC used on '97/'98. For whatever reason that I've never been able to find an answer to, the '99 model year had an IAC without the black button/cap and without the straight section of tubing that extends down the right side of the intake manifold.

Sorry for the poor photo editing.

98explorertubing.jpg
98explorertubing002.jpg
98explorertubing001.jpg

You can start by showing your mechanic that this is where/how the vacuum canister is mounted underneath the intake manifold. Again, as long as the vacuum hose is connected, it really doesn't matter where it sits as far as performance is concerned.

Next is the IAC tube that needs to be installed in it's correct position. Here is a photo of the correct tube for a '97/'98 SOHC and another showing how it's routed under the intake manifold. Note the straight section of tubing is zip tied to the underside of the right side of the intake manifold at the rear. Also note, this is correct for the style IAC used on '97/'98. For whatever reason that I've never been able to find an answer to, the '99 model year had an IAC without the black button/cap and without the straight section of tubing that extends down the right side of the intake manifold.

Sorry for the poor photo editing.

View attachment 341592View attachment 341593View attachment 341594

Fantastic, and thank you!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, very good news. My mechanic was very receptive to my feedback and ya'll were very helpful. The pictures were helpful.

They rerouted and connected the hoses correctly. Nothing they did was significantly wrong but some things were improved upon.

The "ticking" I was hearing was actually my fault. I did a plug job and did not tighten one sufficiently. The expert mechanic immediately identified it, within 1 minute. He dug in there on the middle passenger side plug, removed the boot, and had it tightened and reinstalled the boot in probably 5-10 minutes. Took care of the ticking. It's running great now. They didn't charge me a penny, so I treated the crew to 2 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts as a thank you.

Back