4.0 timing cassessttes changed out of time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 timing cassessttes changed out of time

Robert Heffle

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer 4.0
I had an certified mechanic change the timing chains in a 2005 Ford Explorer with a 4.0. He did not use the ford tool kit so it is not in time. I am convinced the front center chain was on top dead center cause I saw him working on it at that point.

I need to know if the tool kit can be used to set the cams while the engine is still in the truck. I’m thing if I bring it up on top dead center and after a compression test, determine which side is not in time, I can pull the valve covers and set the cam using the tool and then it should run.

I’m thinking this would be the same process if the head gaskets were replace the the cams moved, timing would have to be set with the engine in the vehicle. Ideas.

I also need to know if I need to use the spring tool so the cams turn freely, or if I can be careful and do it with out that. The truck has. 114,000 miles and ran fine till the timing Chains we’re replaced. Now it runs with a ruff idle, no power and dies after idling for a minute or so. Ideas.

I had an certified mechanic change the timing chains in a 2005 Ford Explorer with a 4.0. He did not use the ford tool kit so it is not in time. I am convinced the front center chain was on top dead center cause I saw him working on it at that point.

I need to know if the tool kit can be used to set the cams while the engine is still in the truck. I’m thing if I bring it up on top dead center and after a compression test, determine which side is not in time, I can pull the valve covers and set the cam using the tool and then it should run.

I’m thinking this would be the same process if the head gaskets were replace the the cams moved, timing would have to be set with the engine in the vehicle. Ideas.

I also need to know if I need to use the spring tool so the cams turn freely, or if I can be careful and do it with out that. The truck has. 114,000 miles and ran fine till the timing Chains we’re replaced. Now it runs with a ruff idle, no power and dies after idling for a minute or so. Ideas.
I would bring that truck right back to this ‘certified’ mechanic.

Not using the proper timing tools is not the sign of a (Ford) certified mechanic.

The front center chain has almost no bearing on timing as it is set at the cam gears on top heads. There is a good chance you have a bent valve or a few unfortunately.

Back