4.0L Intake Spacer...pics inside... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L Intake Spacer...pics inside...

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
In my search for more power out of my 4.0L OHV, I thought I would make an Intake Spacer....So I made one out of a spare fuel rail....I don't know if anyone has done this before.

Has anyone tried this before on the 4.0L?...I know it works on the 5.0L.

I haven't installed it yet....but what do you think of it:

What type of gains do you suppose I will get with this?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah it's metal it won't do much. The spacers are made of none heat conductive material.
However you have a spot on pattern, You may be able to take it to a shop & get them to make you one from your template.

I know the benefits of a phenolic spacer in carburated applications. It keeps the fuel cooler.

But in a Direct Port Injection system, benefits over aluminum are reported to be non-existant. I have read where they tested different materials for spacers (HDF composite, Phenolic & Aluminum) and noticed no difference (measurable, within their dyno's margin of error). Reportedly, the reason was the use of 2 gaskets inbetween the lower intake and the upper intake. In OUR application that number jumps to 3 fiber upper intake gaskets.

Lower intake-gasket-Fuel Rail-gasket-spacer-gasket-Upper Intake

I still may have a phenolic piece made at some point...and maybe play with different thicknesses.

BESIDES your apprehensions of it being made of aluminum..what do you think?

Ryan

Hey try it. If it works that's great. Get a shop to mass produce & sell them for $99 each. :D

Hey I got directed to this link from another post about a TB spacer was told this would be a better idea how would i go about maiking one of these?

i made mine out of an spare fuel rail.

I feel like it was just yesterday we were talking about this... but it's been 2 years... DAMN! lol

Just go to the junkyard, pull a fuel rail off. Then start grinding. You'll just want it flat on both sides so it just "sits" on top of the fuel rail and between your upper intake manifold.

What was the result? I wouldn't expect any gains at all from an intake spacer. Or a throttle body spacer.

It's been proven over and over and over in before/after testing that spacers were just gimmick items sold at high prices to idiots who don't know about real performance products, the same as the garbage 'chips' sold on ebay that just fool the ECU into running rich.

There were various improvements to be had by using spacers in carbs in terms of lengthening the cylindrical intake the air would flow through, but you won't get the same thing anymore since port/direct injection intakes are often fairly well designed, and the best you can do (short of redesigning it to suck air from a hood scoop) is to remove any imperfections in the airflow path

I believe I remember Ryan talking that it helped lower the amount of RPMs needed to maintain a speed? It was only a couple hundred, maybe 200-300 at the most? It allowed him to shift gears at lower RPMs without bogging the engine or having it struggle.

how would i go about removing the fuel rail off of a 93 or 94 explorer are they same and will i need longer bolts when i go about putting it on

Back