• Register Today It's free!

4.0L OHV CMP synchronizer base

Wrench

Reaction score
City, State
Courtenay, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 B4000 4.0L OHV
97 explorer, 117,000km, I've got the chirp noise coming from the cam shaft position sensor synchronizer base. This is a two part system. I have been told by the Ford dealership that there are two body sizes of synchronizer, 123mm or 132mm. Anyway of visually identifying this externally with an ID number or where to measure. I need to keep the truck running for now till the part comes in which they say will take 3-4 days once I can identify the size.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CMP synchronizer alignment

One thing that is also puzzeling me is that my factory shop manual is saying to align the special positioning tool for the snychronizer base to 54 degrees from the block centerline and the Haynes manual says to use 60 degrees from the block centerline. I have seen allot of typo errors in both manauls so who's is right? Could it be that the crankshaft dampner is aligned to 10 degree ATDC for 54' verses 26 degree for 60'?

CMP synchronizer alignment

All I can say is do not use the information in the Hayes or Chilton consumer manuals to get the correct info for setting the crankshaft and aligning the different cmp tools, use only factory manual spec's. There are several different cmp alignment tools for the 4.0L OHV engine depending on year and model. Yes, the upper intake manifold must be removed to gain better access to the synchronizer base unit and some have suggested removing the lower intake as well. The job can be done in 3 hrs. with the upper intake removed only. You will also need a gasket for the EGR valve.

Wrench, thanks for posting this info. Wasn't aware that there was more than one tool for this; good to know. My OHV is climbing toward 80K miles, so this is of interest to me.

By the way, what actually causes the chirp; is it a lack of lubrication due to poor design? (I see a lot of posts on CMP noise).

ROE

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
By the way, what actually causes the chirp; is it a lack of lubrication due to poor design? (I see a lot of posts on CMP noise).
ROE

And I'm beginning to think that the CMP is causing my bird chirp...

I'm going to have to do a lot more research to figure out the best way to remove/lube it, or replace it. It seems to be tricky to get it re-aligned properly, based on what Wrench says.

Back