4.56, the best thing I have done. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.56, the best thing I have done.

Woh, You go on vacation for a couple days and suddenly your subject blows up!

WAExplorer... I ended up going with the Offroad Outlet, a local and very reliable shop here in Redmond, Washington. They took only 1 day, which I was very happy about. My final cost was $1300.00 which really hurt my wallet, but made my truck so happy! I was actually quite happy with the price because it includes a good warranty even with oversized tires.

To compare Randy's Ring and Pinion of Everett WA, a dealer that advertises in most four by mags, quoted me two days, at $1600.00, with absolutely no warranty if I ran oversized tires, not even on labor!

As far as the explorers limitation of gearing, my understanding is that 4.56 is the highest you can go with the stock limited slip. You can get a new one which then of course increases your gearing range.

Ira,
I did notice a slight change in RPMs, but only at high speeds. I can't give you an exact number, but I would say now when I go 80, it is as loud as it used to be when I could go 90. Just going 80 for me is so great though, since I haven't been able to ever since I sized to 32s. The regearing fixed my low end RPMs since they were screwed up from the big tires.

Hope this helps everyone
Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
Me too. Check out my web page.
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

Vacation...What is that? I don't think I remember.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

How can you tell when you've run out of invisible ink?

Hey anyone,
I have 31" tires right now with the stock 3.73 gears. I am disappointed with the performance of my truck. I am also planning on putting on the superlift 5.5" lift here in the next year or so. But I want to do something with my gearing first. Do you think that 4.56's and 31's would be too low for cruising on the freeway. Usually go around 70 - 80 mph, mostly closer to 75.
I don't want to put 4.10's in and then up them again once I switch to 33's.
Thanks for the help,
dan

------------------
92 XLT 4x4
2" lift
I think I can make it....oops

Back