• Register Today It's free!

4.6L Oil Consumption

Diesel Tom

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
We have just done the second oil change on our used 2007 Explorer with the 4.6L engine. We have used 5W-20 conventional oil for both changes. Most of the miles are highway miles (60 MPH). The Explorer has 91,000 miles.

My question is what is "normal" oil consumption for this engine? We used about 1.5 qts over about 4,000 miles. This is somewhat higher than what we experienced on our last Ford vehicle (2002 Ford Taurus with the Vulcan engine).

Many thanks.

We have just done the second oil change on our used 2007 Explorer with the 4.6L engine. We have used 5W-20 conventional oil for both changes. Most of the miles are highway miles (60 MPH). The Explorer has 91,000 miles.

My question is what is "normal" oil consumption for this engine? We used about 1.5 qts over about 4,000 miles. This is somewhat higher than what we experienced on our last Ford vehicle (2002 Ford Taurus with the Vulcan engine).

Many thanks.

Mine uses 0 over 5000 mile change intervals. Also FYI this engine was designed for synthetic blend at a minimum.

I see where the Ford manual states a synthetic blend. However, the footnote in the manual says that synthetic or synthetic blend oil is not mandatory, only that the oil meet Ford spec WSS-M2C930-A which the oil I used met or exceeded.

We'll give synthetic blend a try at the next oil change

Back