4 cylinder engine swap? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 cylinder engine swap?

@Mbrooks420 In my gas I use as directed
4oz per ten gallons of gas

They did make a four cylinder version of the Sport Trac for 2002......it’s called the Ford Ranger!
FORD HAS NOT MADE A 4 CYLINDER EXPLORER UNTIL RECENTLY. THAT SAID, THE 2.3 4CYLINDER WOULD FIT, YOUD NEED A DONER TRUCK TO GET ALL THE CONNECTIONS/HOSE/WIRING RIGHT ETC. iT WOULD LIKELY GET THE SAME MILAGE AS THE 6.

YOU MAY FAIR BETTER WITH A V8 SWAP... BEEN DONE THAT ROAD, HIGHWAY ECONOMY WAS ABOUT THE SAME... BUT AROUND TOWN NOT SO MUCH... BUT IT WASNT A STOCK MOTOR.. AND I DIDN'T INTEND TO MAKE IT FUEL EFFICIENT.

iF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY ON GAS, AN EXPLORER (ANY SUV) IS NOT THE RIGHT ANSWER.

so i was curious myself with my 4.0 mountaineer. rated at like 14 city 20 highway or something like that. im not sure how accurate the avg on the gauge cluster is but im definitely doing better than that. but again driving habits make a big difference and i usually get better the the rated mpg. i haven't done an actual calculation on my mpg as i currently dont do enough driving to bother. most readouts are usually fairly close leaning more towards the optimistic side. but even 1 or 2 mpg off im still doing better than the rated. hell even my v6 accord gets better mpg than the rating of the 4 cyl.

Back