4L Detonation on hard accelleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4L Detonation on hard accelleration

rockylaurence

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
My 93' Explorer pings on hard accelleration even with 93 octane fuel (87 makes it worse). I have cleaned the MAS (rcvd idea from this web!) which improved the situation, but didn't fix it. I have replaced the o2 sensors, and run gallons of cleaner through the engine--with no improvement. What should I check next?
I have (clean) K&N filter, Platinum plugs, Split Fire wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Rocky, I had the same problem, and heard tons of stories/reasons. I found two soloutions, 1. Get an MSD DIS4 ignition, this will make the knock go away by burning ALL the fuel in the combustion chamber. (unburned fuel is causing the knock) 2. Get your timing checked, thats the only other thing i can think of. Hope this helps.

Tony 91 Sport

THANKS TONY; HOW DOES THE MSD HOOK UP? WE HAVE THE CRANK-FIRE IGNITION. DOES IT REPLACE THE FORD COIL AND IS IT WORTH IT (PERFORMANCE WISE)?

WILLYGEE;
TOLD ME THAT HIS 91' HAS A "OCTANE SHORTING" BAR LOCATED IN A CONNECTOR BY THE FUSE BOX TO RETARD TIMING. HAS ANYONE ELSE USED THIS AS A FIX? WHAT ARE THE PROCEDURES? THANKS WILLYGEE FOR THE INPUT!

dont know if that is a good fix, i have heard that messing with the octane shorting bar will (100% of the time) cut your mpg in half. its not great to begin with. just a thought

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.

Back