4R55E, hard downshifts after rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E, hard downshifts after rebuild

Vikane

Reaction score
City, State
Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I have recently done a rebuild of my 4R55E. New steels and frictions, new bands, new ZC servo and cap for the overdrive, new AB servo for the intermediate, with original AB cap. The EPC is the original one.
I did the TSB 03-22-10, and installed the Superiour Shift Correction kit.
I am using an oil from Agip, http://www.agip.eni.it/agip/SchedaProdotto.do?channelId=-1073757705&da_dove_arrivo=da_menu&RID=@2BlWY|0?xoidcmWopk&ref_cont=@29sPh|0?xoidcmWopk&catId=-1073757649&cntTypeId=1008&portalId=0&lang=en&sessionId=17259033&codProd=002311

I am now experiencing that the transmission has started to shift down harder, from third to second, and from second to first. And always when the brake pedal is applied, it appears like a small thump from the rear differential.
Am I using the wrong oil, or could I have done anything wrong during the rebuild ?

I guess I am pretty lousy in explaining this problem, since no one has replied, technical english isn't easy for a norwegian :eek:

The problem was rough gear-changes, especially from third to second, and from second to first. I also felt a weird noise from the transmission when this occured.

I gave a local tranmission guru a call and explained the problem to him, he told me to check for DTC, and then the line pressure, he thought it could be to high.

After talking to him I started thinking about the EPC valve I never replaced, and the pressureriser I installed from the Superior kit. Could that be the problem ?

One hour later the EPC valve was replaced with another from my spare transmission, and the pressureriser removed. Now all works just fine again :)

Maybe the pressure gets to high when doing both the TSB 03-22-10 from Ford, and the pressureriser from Superior. Or am I thinking wrong here ?
Maybe there was a malfunction with my pressureriser, any thoughts ?

Back