• Register Today It's free!

4R55E no downshift

n_spect_r

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger
I posted this over in the VB rebuild area but I think that may be the wrong place.

Here is what has/is happening. 1996 Ranger 4.0 4R55E, 170,000 miles. Rebuilt May 2014, new torque converter, epc, clutch plates, (not steels), new OD drum, new OD and Mid bands, new OD and mid pistons. Ran great until March-April this year. Started acting strange, I pulled the pan and found several wires in the harness were missing insulation and shorting out. Replaced harness and all appeared fine until we tried it on the highway. Here is what happens.
With the shift in OD, starts out fine shifts from 1-2 around 13-15, from 2-3 at 25-27, 3-OD around 35 and TC locks up at around 40. If I stay around 35 I can let off the gas then re apply and accelerate. If I get up over 40 and let off gas the trans will not re-engage unless I slow to about 35. I get the same symptom if I lock it in 2nd. Shifts from 1-2 fine, get up to 30 let off gas and it coasts, will not re-engage until I slow to about 25

Tried to test engine braking. While in OD got the speed up to 25 and manually downshifted, it dropped into 2nd and the engine reved so I have braking. Tried dropping to 1 at around 25-27 but it did not engage until it slowed to about 22 and then I had engine braking. Check engine light is not on, connected OBD reader and there are no codes, OD light does not flash.

I replaced the ECM and the same behavior. As I am writing this I wonder if the short in the trans caused a wire in the harness from trans to ECM to burn.
That may be my next step.

This one is a stumper.

i keep thinking about the converter.

See where the stall speed is at, hold the brake and stand on the gas, where the rpms stop will give you a indication of the stall speed. I would expect no higher than 3200 rpms.

Thanks for the reply, tried the stall test. Engine will not go over 2500. Tried it several times, even did forward and reverse. When I can get a second body to help I plan to check wires from the ECM to the trans with an ohm meter.

Back