• Register Today It's free!

4R55E Popping in to Neutral

rob2337

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4x4
Hello I have a 95 with a 4R55E. I am starting to have some problems with it again, and suggestions from you guys would help. The transmission still feels strong and doesn't seem to slip. However, sometimes after the trucks warms up it seems to shift into neutral. If I let off the gas and accel again it goes back into gear. Seems to only happen in 2nd gear.

This is what I plan on doing:

- Drop the pan, retorque the VB

- Swap out the EPC with an old one I have(I bought a used valve body 2 years ago on ebay to fix a torque lockup problems, so I still have the old VB)

- Maybe add the FORD transmission additive

Any suggestions??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any suggestions guys?

I retorqued the valve body and swaped the EPC. Still does it.

It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it feels like the tranny drops or kicks into neutral. If I accelerate a bit more, it clunks back into gear.

Does this sound like a valve body, or time for a rebuild.

no idea, i assume by you saying the transmission is popping or kicking into neutral, that the transmission is actually slipping?

Check the transmission fluid. Does it have a burnt odor or is it dark in color?

Fluid is new, bright red and not burnt. I replaced the valve body gaskets last summer to resolve another issue I had.

As for the popping into neutral.. I guess it could be slipping. I am driving then all of a sudden, the transmission disengages from the engine. The revs go up and it doesn't accelerate. Then you hear a engagement clunk or several clunks (the vehicle bucks a bit) and everything is back to normal. Seems to only happen with the transmission warm.

Would attaching a pressure gauge to the pressure port tell if the VB gasket is blown internally?

Would the next step be to buy the new seperator plate 1L5Z-7Z490-EA, or buy a transmission pressure tester?

Also, if I put in the new plate, should I purchase the Pressure blow off valve
3L5Z-7M230-JA?

Actually can someone confirm that 1L5Z-7Z490-EA is the bonded gasket to seperator plate and it will fit a 95 explorer. I only have a listing for 98-00 3L Ranger for that part #

Hello I have a 95 with a 4R55E. I am starting to have some problems with it again, and suggestions from you guys would help. The transmission still feels strong and doesn't seem to slip. However, sometimes after the trucks warms up it seems to shift into neutral. If I let off the gas and accel again it goes back into gear. Seems to only happen in 2nd gear.

This is what I plan on doing:

- Drop the pan, retorque the VB

- Swap out the EPC with an old one I have(I bought a used valve body 2 years ago on ebay to fix a torque lockup problems, so I still have the old VB)

- Maybe add the FORD transmission additive

Any suggestions??

Second gear is the intermediate band right? Maybe a band adjustment? I know when the band breaks there is no second until you let off the gas. Make sure you follow the procedure CAREFULLY though, you have to take off a locknut, turn a screw until you have 10 ft/lbs I believe then back off exactly 2 turns. Refer to threads on band adjustment. Do not overtightighten, these bands are a weak spot on these units. The metal clip separates from stress and you need a teardown.

Back