4r70w no 2-3 upshift has 4-3 downshift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4r70w no 2-3 upshift has 4-3 downshift

NProbst37

Reaction score
City, State
wilmington, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Just bought the vehicle 2 weeks ago with no repair records.1998 5.0 2wd xlt. 220k miles. Driving it home everything shifted fine except 1-2 is harsh. purchased new 1-2 accumulator springs/piston which are ready to go in.

I replaced the battery last week and ever since it will no longer upshift from 2 to 3. torque shows ecu is commanding the shift. No codes are present currently.It runs up to about 3500rpm in 2nd then shifts to overdrive. It will successfully downshift from 4th to third. 3rd feels fine in that way, no slipping or shudders in any shifts.

Fluid is in unkown on mileage, doesnt' smell bad and looks fairly red. I'll be replacing the fluid when i change the accumulator.

i've done a lot of searching but resulted in conflicting information. most saying shift solenoid then some saying 4th would be out as well if it was the solenoid due to both solenoids needing to be in the on position for 4th to be there. Should i investigate the valve body?

I would suspect the 2-3 accumulator piston, it can cause a loss of just 3rd gear.

I would replace the 1-2 and the 2-3 accumulator pistons. You will have to remove the valve body to get to the 2-3 accumulator piston, if both accumulator pistons don't have any visible damage then I would go through the valve body.

Good deal. I'll give that a shot and post back.

Thanks!

Back