• Register Today It's free!

4R70W Reverse Shell Question...

4TXTECH

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford F150
Hello, new here. Since this is about the best site you can find on 4R70W rebuilding, I have a question. Here goes...

I am rebuilding a 4R70W and found a good core cheap that was fully functional, i.e. not trashed. I have it all apart and am making a list of what parts I need to replace, bushings, clutches, etc. Upon disassembly and inspection, I noticed something weird on the Reverse Drum. It is completely missing one of the dog ears that mesh with the Reverse Shell and Gear. It doesn't appear to be broken off, just completely missing.

Because of this and the wear in the dog ears, I have decided to replace the Reverse Drum and the Reverse Shell. My question is this...all of my gears look pristine with hardly any wear that I can see. Can I reuse all of my gears with a new Reverse Shell or should I use matched gear sets? In other words, if I replace the Reverse Shell with new should I also get new planetary gears? Will there be meshing problems like in rear ends?

All help is appreciated.

You do not have to replace the planetary, these gears will not make noise like a rear will if the gears are replaced.

It is common to have a missing lug on the reverse drum, its not broken or damaged they are made like that. I am not really sure why, maybe balancing.

Back