4wd Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd Issues

evazan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
1997 Ford Explorer XLT just started having issues with the 4wd. The truck has about 60k miles on it and spent a good couple of years in a garage without being driven before my Grandma in law gifted it to my wife a year ago. It has controltrac and the 4wd switch has three options, auto, high, and low.

When the car starts the 4wd and 4wd low lights blink 6 times. The blinking repeats about every 5 minutes. When I move the switch from auto to high or low the lights on the dash do not come on to indicate that the 4wd high or low is activated.

This is the first time I've owned a car with 4wd so I'm not too familiar with where to start. I don't think the transfer case fluid has ever been changed so that is where I started. I also changed out the speed sensor on the back of the transfer case, I think it is considered the front vehicle speed sensor, because it was cheap and easy to do. That didn't fix the problem. I than checked all the fuses which have to do with 4wd system and they are all ok.

From reading a few forum posts it seems like it could be a number of things. Possible problems: transfer case shift motor, hall effect sensors, rear speed sensor, or maybe something electrical. I was hoping someone could give me a hand narrowing the problem down. Right now I feel like I am just guessing as to what the problems could be.

Thanks.

Back