4wd pre runner suspention?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd pre runner suspention??

Dead Link Removed
http://dezertrangers.com/
McNeilOff-Road.com
19" Long Travel Ford TTB Suspension - Ford TTB Tech - October 2004 FORD 4x4 @ Off-Road.com
im hoping this all works for you cuz im building a 4x4 ranger with a dana 35 front
look through the links on the first two
4 inches of lift is the best from what i have researched but i was told its not the amount of travel but the quality of travel
so good shocks or better coilovers will get the quality
while 4.5" extended beams get more travel as well as better stability due to the stance
mcneil offroad has a list of parts from their kit so you will get a good idea of what you could use
good luck man

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I will only lower the ball joint, I dont want to buy longer axles just replaced them and the u joints... or can you cut and turn and still keep stock length axles?? 10-12" of clean travel is the most i need... I have read zimmermans build up at least 3 times... I dont need anything that extensive

if you are on a tight budget i would get some coils that are a little bigger and get a good 2.0 or 2.5 resivoir shock so they wont fade quickly due to heat. i think the camburg kit for a 4x4 X uses a 5" lift spring up front but im sure you could use something a little smaller. for fitting big tires and not hitting the fender wells every time you land hard get glass fenders.

you are gonna have to probably cut and turn your beams to eliminate having to use drop brackets which can bend while prerunning. you also will want longer radius arms to help with travel, longer brake lines, and limit straps to keep everything together.

i know camburg makes a kit for your truck for around 1500-2000 and they do great work. with the cut and turned beams you can probably get 10-12+ or - of front wheel travel depending of the length of the shock with the camburg kit. for more travel you would probably have to look into getting new beams.

for the rear you could get a deaver leaf pack with resivoir shocks and it will work pretty well, not sure how much lift you will get with them tho...

resivor shocks are outa the question right now... still owe the snap on man 800+ and mac the same... and i dont like credit card building so dual shocks and single maybe dual rear shocks are in the cards for now.... what kind of shock can withstand it.... I dont like adjustables because i had adjustble drag shocks on my old drag car and always kep it at 90-10 and never toutched it for 2 years kinda wast of money if you do the same thing every time... also it is driven everyday to work...a hole 5 min depends on traffic.hehehehe so i dont care about street manners

if your not going to be doing anything to outragoues than nitro gas shocks should be fine

Talk to 410...i think he built his

if you did the dual shocks it would probably be better up front and i would go with a bilstein, they are about 60-80 depending on which you get. ive used bilstein in the desert for a while now and have never had problems with them

Did you mean Josh S codepoet? ;)

I went the cheap route with superlift and all that blah blah blah and just ended up breaking the majority of the parts again and again. Finally I worked up to some Camburg beams, then heimed radius arms, then coil buckets and kings, deavers, etc. I'm still not done with suspension and it's been a couple years! That's just because I usually don't have money, but I'm workin on it.

I found some of my stuff used on RDC, the rest I just bought, sometimes with deals. It really helps if you can do a lot of the work yourself, plus it's great because you learn a lot about your own truck, exactly what it can handle, exactly what the wierd noise that just came from your truck was, etc. If I wouldn't have built and torn apart everything countless times I would have been more screwed than I have been quite a few times out in the dirt.

Check out these sites for some info...

www.dezertrangers.com (forum)
www.race-dezert.com (classifieds)
www.kartek.com (parts)
this site (do a search)
www.rebel4x4.net (forum on my site...quite a few prerunned X's on there :) )

if you wanna haul ass or jump, you're either gonna have to get creative with whatcha got, or pay a bunch of money...just try to learn as much as you can from all these great websites that our out there. I've learned so much by asking questions before and during projects on THIS site and others, I don't know how I could do it over. Hope this helps! :D

Josh I already lifted the truck almost 4 months ago, but thanks for the info... Im more into trails and rocks now.. Im buying a 2wd ranger to run in the local tuff truck competition.. done with the SAS yet??

Ahhhh you're probly gettin me and Josh C confused...I'm strictly a TTB guy:smoke:

Good luck with your rig...I'm doing some cool stuff lately to mine that might interest ya...check it out here

I went the "expensive but worth it" route on my old Explorer.
cb2x25.jpg

Ex%20front%20under.JPG

Back