• Register Today It's free!

4wd pre runner suspention??

sandrunner

Reaction score
City, State
Madison,Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
this may sound a little different to most of you but im looking into building a pre runner style explorer 94' 4x4 sport. I dont want the truck to sit really high and dont like stiff springs... I like to go fast in the rough, so i need suspention travel... how can i add suspention travel with out adding height to the truck..maybe just 2 or a little more inches total in truck height its top heavy enough..also ill be ordering fenders from perrys fab and fiber and i have 2 sets of wheels mud rover 32's and good year 31" MT/R's there summer tires and winter tires............ so if anyone has any Ideas give me a shout

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well like you said travel is key im sure you know this but if you plan on doing anything more than just runnung through some dunns at the beach you are going to need alot more than 2 inches of lift and 32s. The stock suspension on an explorer is good comparied to other suvs, but its not made to go fast through ruts and certainly not made to jump anything. The guys racing in baja run 20+ inchs of travel have custom everything, 37 inch tires and they still mess stuff up.

If i was u doing a suspension lift would be much better than a body lift, bc all the body lift is going to do is lift the body of the frame, which doesnt mean better articulation which in desert racing is key. I got my 4 inch lift for 500 shipped which is a good price (suspsensionconnection.com). Or like you said, if you just want a little bit of lift go with the skyjacker 2.5. Also all most all teh guys on here hate their body lifts.

If you get the 2.5 inch suspensionlift and perrys finders up front and trim the fenders out back you could get 33s easy, if not 34s or 35s. But you do want you want, its your truck. Oh get one of those pre runner light/skid plate bars for the front bumper http://www.truckperformance.com/pro...r/?PHPSESSID=2aef69ec5bb68d14bfd297ed2a1b34be its long i know. good luck

Going fast in the dirt with an exploder = :roll: . I don't think that would be such a good idea, esspecially with a sport, we have shorter wheelbases, which means that we roll easier, which is pretty damn amazing, considering.
Just my $.02, though. Good luck with whatever you plan to do though.

Suspension kits are cheaper for pre 95 (torsion bar) Explorers.

If your building a prerunner...cut and turn your beams. You can get great flex out of a good set, run eb springs for a soft ride. C/T's beams are usually only good for about 4"s of lift so your not gonna be lifting it to much. C/T's beams can get up to 20"s of travell. Perry's fenders would be a great way to stuff larger wheels and give room for flex as well.

I disagree with fox...prerunner explorer and rangers can rip **** up in the desert with the propper mods.

410fortune has c/t's beams, he'll be able to give you more info :)

i think fox meant with a stock ex.

Yeah, that's why i said "with the popper mods"...

JoshC also has c/t'd beams.
I seriously considered going with them for my trail rig...the only thing that detered me was the terrain i'll be running. I felt that a soild would give me more bang for the buck

how would you go about doing that? sounds like a good mod

Two ways:

cut the lower ball joint ear off, add metal and weld it up father out from it's stock location (top bj would probabably need some work too to make it work righ).

cut the beams about 3/4 the way in from the spindles in in two, make a jig to keep everything lined up, add metal and reweld at the appropriate angle.

Pretty quick and dirty. Camburg makes beams for about 350 with a core. I think it's THE BEST option for a desert rbv...but that's just me :)

I never liked body lifts so thats outa the pic... c/t beams sounds good... can i use larger radius arms?... also whats eb springs?? i thought of runnin 4" lift cherokee springs, soft and lift only 2.5-3"... what about the rear what about the 2.5" deaver soft spring pack??? and for shocks im thinking dual fab techs for a 4" lift for front and singles in the rear

also has anyone tried to bow out the stock rear Qters on an explorer for more room??

Check out camburg...they make really good beams. You can extend your ra's. EB == Early Bronco springs. Deavers are really good. Best part about c/t'd beams is that you can reuse your stock brackets.

You will have some issues to deal with with long travel ttb's though...do your reasearch you'll need to do a few things to let them flex good. PM 410fortune...he knows his stuff when it comes to ttb's :D

if you really want something good, go the rout of coilovers

i dont think you can bow them out since they are metal, they will just buckel and dent. but im not 100% on that. best to just trim

I dont have a large budget....still paying off my tools....had to be a auto tech

i hear that, but being an auto tech is great cause you have acess to tools and machines that other people dont, so you could do some crazy stuff

Ive done it on a ranger and installed brackets to hold it.

thats true mitch the only prob is i have a small garage and the xplorer is the only running vehicle i have

i agree with cp the best bang for the buck prob would be the c/t beams and like u said the the dual shocks up front (which are great) and the deavers. And if the back sets lower than the front you could always get some war153 shackles, good for about 1 1/2-2 inchs and are only 50 bucks a pair. good luck with what ever you do

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

didnt think it would cost $500 c/t beams anyone here have any for cheaper used?? or can make

Back