• Register Today It's free!

4x2 to 4x4 conversion help!!!

cowboy3dc

Reaction score
City, State
fernandina beach, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer sporttrac xlt
hi, well i recently found out i cannot sell My 04 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4x2 to get a 4x4. thats when i heard about people converting there 4x2 to 4x4. i am well aware of the cost and thats not a factor. my main questions are... do i need a new frame? Do i need a 4x4 tranny? i realize this will be a project, i love my little ST and i kinda wanna keep her if she can go 4x4, even if i have to lock the hubs manually.:rangergreen::rangertan::rangerred::exporange:exp::yelexp::JP::)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your best bet for price, durability and ease of conversion is to go with a Solid Axle Swap. Check out the offroad section for tons of build info. I'm in the process of doing this myself but mine was already a 4wd.

I'm just curious on if I need a new frame to do a independent 4x4 like they have already. Just because it will bolt right in in most places. If I need a new frame I may do the solid axle

You don't need a new frame but you'll need pretty much a complete 4wd Sport Trac for all of the parts you'll need to do the conversion. You're better off doing a SAS.

Wouldn't I be welding and cutting though? I'd rather not go that far.

Yes but it's either that or you might as well sell your 2wd and get a 4wd to build up. Trust me if you plan on going big and don't want to replace parts all the time (especially in the swamp and mud) a SAS is the way to go. Plus lift kits (if you can find any) for the IFS on our rigs is almost as much as doing a budget build SAS.

Back