• Register Today It's free!

4X4 clunk

Professor2

Reaction score
City, State
LaCenter, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a 94 Ranger XLT 4.0. When in 4x4, and accelerating, I have a clunk that always happens at the same timing sequence. The faster I go, the faster the clunk gets. It also sounds louder the more power I give it. There is no noise when coasting. The noise is loud with power on. I put it on jack stands and I can run it up to 45 mph. The only time I get noise is when I put on the brakes and it is almost stopped, then it will make several clunks.
I know its not the front differential because I just pulled it and everything is OK there.
It has to be coming from the transfer case. I pulled the shift motor last year and checked the rubber bumper. Could I have put the shift motor in wrong? The 4x4 lights on the dash work correctly. I would like to know if it could be anything else before I put in another transfer case.
Any information is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you in 4wd on drive pavement?

I guess the people who know transfer cases aren't telling. Tomorrow I will pick up a transfer case and try that. If I change enough parts I'm sure I'll fix it.

I just replaced the transfer case. I still have the same problem. There is nothing else left in the circuit. I checked the axles when I had the front differential out. They looked OK but they must be bad. I don't know what to change next.

Back