4X4 not working

92eddie

Reaction score
City, State
Newmarket. Ontario. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer
OK heres the deal, I have a 1992 Eddie Bauer
when i hit the 4x4 button, i here a double click from the shift module in the back but it does not engage. I've checked all the fuses and the connections to the transfer case.
Can anyone give me a hand?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm, i dont know much about the 4x4 system and all that but i've heard very bad things about push button 4x4's...maybe the hubs arent going in or something...i'm thinking of switching to warn manual hubs myself

------------------
'93 explorer sport 4x4

Disconnect your battery for about 10 minutes, reconnect it and try again. Sometimes the motor that engages the 4x4 tends to forget where it is. If it works, allow it to engage, then disengage, re-engage and then disengage again. This will also help to clean some of the crud from around the motor.

May sound crazy, but many times, it works.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now...No we aren't...Yes we are... shut up.

Eddie
Sounds like the old shift motor. Do a search "won't go in to 4x4" there's a lot of good info on that problem.
jerry

I ran into this problem a few months ago and resetting the computer actually did the job. Good luck and hope its as simple as mine was to fix.

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

I have a problem with my 4x4 switch as well.
I have the one where you just push a button.
The High Range would work fine, but the Low Range won't. The light won't even come on like when I engage 4x4 High. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it a fuse somewhere?

'94 Mazda Navajo

Yeah, my Low Range is dead. Any ideas?

------------------
James K
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N Filtercharger
Modified Air Box
Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back
Hypertech Module
"Kickin Up Dust"

I was under the hood of my 92 Navajo messing around about 3 months ago and found a connector stuffed under the other ABS wires under the brake master cylinder. After looking through the manual I found that this plugs in to the master cylinder and it's for the rear ABS. Why the previous owner had disconnected this confused me for a couple of weeks. When I was getting ready for a trip to the mountains, (Sierra Nevada in Northern CA.), I was checking some maintenance items and while checking the functionality of the 4x4 I found that when I pressed the 4x4 switch I would here a clicking noise. I thought about the things I did in between now and the last time my 4x4 worked and it was hook up that connector for the rear ABS. Just for giggles I disconnected the plug and tried my 4x4 and it worked. I hooked it back up and tried again and it didn't work. I checked the wiring diagrams in my manual and found that these items are related in the wire diagrams.

If you have rear ABS try disconnecting the plug from the master cylinder and try the 4x4, if it works, great, if it doesn't then you've just checked another item of the list.

FMNavajo

Where is the shift motor?
What kind of solvent should I use to clean the connectors?

Thanks for all your help.
I'm gonna try the motor on the weekend, I hope I can find a safty torx somewhere.

Brysha and JamesK,

From what I remember, when I first got my Explorer, I had the same problem...high worked and low did not. A day or two later, I looked under it and saw a wire that had come off a terminal. This was on the transfer case from what I remember. I simply reconnected the terminal and it has worked ever since. I think they used a pressure washer on it before I bought it and it blew the wire off. Another possibility, I think you have to be in neutral with your foot on the brake before the switch will engage low range.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

I used to be schizophrenic, but we're OK now...No we aren't...Yes we are... shut up.

If you haven't noticed this is a common problem for the Electronic control motor. To start with crawl under your Explorer and remove the contact cover on the shift motor (you'll need tamper proof torx). Clean the contacts reinstall cover and test. If this doesen't cure it you will need the following tools. 12V battery (or jumper cables hooked to the battery of your Explorer),two test leads, adjustable wrench, a metric socket set and a wireing diagram. Start by removing the vibration dampener from the rear of the t-case. Next remove the shift motor. Disconnect the motor at the wireing connector. Using the wireing diagram determine which wire sends power to the motor when the high range button is pressed, as well as the ground. Using the jumper wires and your 12v source apply power directly to this terminal on the motor's harness (be sure you have a good ground). This should shift the motor into the high range position. Repeat applying power to low range terminal. Next take the adjustable wrench to rotate the shift rod sticking out of the t-cast to the low range position. Before reassembly, now would be an excelent time to check the fluid in your t-case. Reinstall motor and dampener. Turn ignition on. The dash lights should indicate that your are in 4wd/ low range. Dis-enguage 4wd and attempt to re-enguage. If this doesen't work...it's worked every time I have tried it, so if it doesent I don't have any suggestions.

Go to the Explorer home page and click on Explorer faq. Then go dowm to mainance tips and click on transfer case. The brushes on the 4x4 motor get dirty and it quits working . All you have to do is take it apart and clean the brushes. Sounds harder than it is. Mine shifts better now than it did before.

------------------
91 Navajo 4.0
Bosch Platinum plugs, K&N air filter, modified air box and Bilstien shocks.

Ira,

I'll take a look at the transfer case this weekend and see whats goin on. Oh yeah, I didn't know you had to be in neutral with the brake pressed to switch to Low Range. Thanks for the help and I'll keep posting updates. Thanks again.

------------------
James K
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N Filtercharger
Modified Air Box
Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back
Hypertech Module
"Kickin Up Dust"

OK here's what i've done,
cleaned the motor, checked for continuity (sp), all seems ok. The motor was a bit dirty but nothing real bad. The only thing I can't do is hook it up to 12V because I don't have a proper wiring diagram, and I don't want to fry anything. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just buy a new motor.

------------------

I had the same problem with my 4x4 button. I
took it to the Ford dealers and they had to
replace the motor at the tranfer case. Works
just fine and that was 2 years ago.

------------------
Ken P.
1992 Explorer XLT 4Dr
Kenwood sound system
K&N filter,modified airbox
thats it 4 now!!Well Maybe!!

Back