• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working..

noob4x4

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
Hi, I have a 98 explorer xlt. I thought my 4x4 was working and went into the beach last weekend and was stuck there and towing truck had to pull me out... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Is this something expensive to fix??

Another question i had was, on my truck there're two buttons, one for 4x4 and one for low range. What is the difference between the two.. ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good questions. You have auto hubs don't you? The auto hubs on the 1st gens seem to be the weak link in the 4wd department. There are two options - 4wd HI and LO. HI is for speeds of up to around 55mph. LO reduces the speed by a lot which I wouldn't go over 20mph, but it's mainly for getting out of the situation you were in; stuck. It throws more torque and multiplies the traction.

-Drew

Have you ever used the 4x4? When you pressed the Hi button, did it light up? Then, to put into Low, did you put in neutral with your foot on the brake and press the Low button? Also remember, with the autohubs (if you still have them and haven't converted to manuals) you need to move forward after 4x4 is engaged for the hubs to fully lock and complete the 4x4 cycle. I thing you need to go ~20ft for the hubs to lock.

odds are it is your shift motor. I know it is a very common thing on first gen's

He has a 98, that means that he does not have auto hubs. He has solid hubs. There is no connecting /disconnecting of the hubs on models 95 up to present year. I would say the he probably didn't have it set in 4wd.

noob4x4, Read what TPLYNCH worte about using your 4wd and understand that when going the beach that you should probably be in 4LO if it's pretty loose sand. Also you want to ride the brakes alittle to keep from spinning the wheels, as you probably have open differentials in the rear, and for fact they are open in the front. It takes a little practic but it can be done, so you don't wear out your brakes. You also want to air down your tires to about 15 to 18 PSI when off roading.
Good luck and Happy wheeling

Got me Ray. Looked at his profile Ex, didn't catch the '98 in the writeup....

Back