• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working

91navjo

Reaction score
City, State
richmond va
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer sport 4x4
my 91 navajo's 4 wheel drive doesnt work. i press the button and nothing happens the light next to the button and light on the dash doesnt come on. i hear no clicking sound or anything. i checked the relay behind the back seat and the red light comes on and it doesnt blink. the truck has 85k and one of the hubs is new?? can anyone help............please!!!!!!!!! also how hard is it too covert to manual hubs??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You pushed the white test button and you got a solid light? If this is so then, someone correct me if i am wrong, your panal is bad. Which would probably be the reason that there is no clicking noise. You may want to check the fuse under the hood for the shift computer to see if it is blown.

Chris

You may have to get your 4x4 engaging motor replaced. Same thing happened to me and it turned out that the little motor on your t-case that engages 4 wheel drive decided to go into retirement. Hopefully this is not your case, because the motor was not cheap:mad:

Check out Ex. maintenance site or likely here lots of guy have had success just removing the motor and cleaning it, brushes etc. good luck

I am having the same problem. Protrucks in Ches. VA told me that the actuating motor on the transfer case is probably the fault

Yes more than likley it is your motor that shift the tcase in and out of 4wd. If you goto the site that toad posted there is a section that tells you step by step on how to clean the motor itself. I need to do the same thing again, so i iwll let yall know how it goes when i do it.

Chris

I just posted about safe engaging techniques to prevent damage to your 4WD drive system, check it out.

Dead Link Removed

I did the repair method that Toad suggested to my transfer case shift motor a few weeks ago, and it works like a champ. I am also getting ready to swap to the Warn manuals over the Memorial Day weekend. Ill put up a how to after Its completed. Both Hubs with the adapter set from 4 wheel parts wholesalers cost me about $205, which is cheap in comparison to the new automatic hub prices.

Back