• Register Today It's free!

4X4 Problems!!!!!

lildevil1985

Reaction score
City, State
Warrensburg, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
I have a 1991 Explorer 4X4 with auto lock hubs I just recently replaced the wheel bearings about a month ago on driver and passenger side. Since then i have had a problem with the 4X4 not working. I hear a faint sound from the left side that sounds like a fishing reel ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Since i have heard that sound i have taken back apart the hubs looked and cant find out what is wrong. Is their anything i can do to the hubs to fix the problem or should i just convert them to locking hubs. I would like to see if i can fix the hubs before i have to put out the money for locking hubs. CAN ANYONE HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99.999% of the time, this is caused by too much / old grease in the hubs, causing them to stick and be partially engaged. It is often misdiagnosed and Warn sells lots of manual hubs because of it.

Take the hubs back off. Fill them with ATF, take two screwdrivers and work the mechanism in and out to unbind them.

Soak the hubs in the ATF overnight. Day 2, Drain the ATF from the hubs and leave them to drain for at least an hour.

While waiting, remove the hub spring cams from the spindles and clean with parts cleaner. Clean as much grease as you can off of the spindle, etc. (remove all grease from everything outboard of the rotor).

Reinstall the spring cams and hubs without any grease.

Assuming you didn't do any permanent damage to the spring cams by driving it too long this way, you should be back in business.

It's also possible that you didn't reinstall the spring cams correctly when you did the wheel bearings job. Do a search of this site, there's pictorial instructions for this job.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Mike

You will never go wrong with manual locking hubs, a little expensive but well worth it.

Thanks mikeinri, I will try what you have told me and i will keep you posted if it works or not. I rather would try something cheap before doing something expensive like buying locking hubs.

You may be able to get replacement cams if they're broken/rounded off. Try a junkyard, or an online Ford parts place (y2k, etc.).

I have also seen auto hubs on ebay.

It's no secret here that I'm partial to auto hubs. You get to stay warm and dry when you need them. They're not hard to maintain (once you get used to keeping the grease away from them during brake jobs). Mine have over 264,000 miles on them...

Mike

Did you pack the hubs with grease as Mike wrote about?

Had the same problem with my '94 xlt. Clicking sound in left hub. thought it might be have a problem engaging with vaccum hose?

You may be able to get replacement cams if they're broken/rounded off. Try a junkyard, or an online Ford parts place (y2k, etc.).

I have also seen auto hubs on ebay.

It's no secret here that I'm partial to auto hubs. You get to stay warm and dry when you need them. They're not hard to maintain (once you get used to keeping the grease away from them during brake jobs). Mine have over 264,000 miles on them...

Mike

Are you not suppose to pack the hubs with greese when doing the rotors (since its rotors + hub)? Im asking because I just got started on changing rotors on my 92 X

Had the same problem with my '94 xlt. Clicking sound in left hub. thought it might be have a problem engaging with vaccum hose?

What vacuum hose engagement are you talking about? AutoHUB engagement is purely mechanical and actuated by the rotation of the stub axle shaft.

Are you not suppose to pack the hubs with greese when doing the rotors (since its rotors + hub)? Im asking because I just got started on changing rotors on my 92 X

Correct.. Don't pack hubs with grease, just apply a tiny film on the splines to prevent rust no more.. If you pack the hubs with grease the axle shaft has no where to go...as such it can pre-load the hub mechanism towards the disengage position which can cause buzzing and intermittent noises.. Obviously you need to re-pack the wheel bearings with grease.. Take a peek at the Brake job diary for lots of info and pics.

Back