• Register Today It's free!

4x4 still not working

Armyguydan

Reaction score
City, State
Moscow Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer 4x4
Hey all. I'm new to the site but have been using the site for a month or 2. Was hoping someone could help me. I had a problem with my 4x4 not working so I followed the instructions on the one page and rebuilt the shift motor..didn't work. When I pushed the 4h button nothing would happen, no clicks no nothing. So I purchased a brand new transfer case motor, tested the 4x4 computer(flashed 4 times indicating ok) and tested the hubs and still have the exact same problem, push for 4 wheel drive and nothing happens. No light, no clocks nothing at all, almost like I'm not pressing any button. So I was wondering if anyone knew how to bypass the switch, or a diagram of how to test the switch or just anything I might be Missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated as winter is nasty here and I'm at my wits end. Again ty for any help u can toss me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once my '92 wouldn't shift into 4H. I went back to the shift module and wiggled the connector there, and it started shifting again. I guess there was a loose connection that my wiggling made good again.

Over the years I have found that a certain % of vehicles with broken shift motors also have broken 4x4 buttons. I would assume it is because the driver is pressing harder and harder and harder to try and get it working and ends up breaking the button..

Test your t-case mechanically by removing the shift motor and shifting it with a pliers or vise grips. Just twist the little triangle-shaped post until it locks into 4-hi or more for 4-low. Reverse the process to return to 2-hi.

Trick is also to have truck in neutral and running when you try to shift it, especially into 4-low.

If you are shifting it manually, have a partner sit in the truck with the brakes on and make sure you are careful and communicate. Leave it in neutral until you are out from under!

Ok, got 4h working by jiggling the cables on the 4x4 computer but having lots of clunking and banging going on in the front end. 4l not working, but I have surpassed my abilities so I think I need to take it to a shop now and have it looked at.

Welcome to the site.

For future reference, you could bypass the dash switch at the rear of the switch on the dash. Sounds more like you need to fix the connectors at the computer (jiggling does not equal fixing)...

As to the rest, best of luck. It's not really a tough job to fix it on your own, there are excellent resources here to walk you through it. But, if you're not comfortable doing a major brake job, I would let the shop do it...

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back