• Register Today It's free!

4X4 still not working

Richard Wise

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Okay, here's my story. I noticed a few months ago that my 4X4 wouldn't engage. I scanned through a few posts and went to the Explorer maintaince site and read about cleaning the contacts in the transfer case motor. I took the motor off and cleaned the contacts. After re-installing the motor, I still had no 4X4. So I took the motor off and saw that the cam was lined up to the 2H position. I started the car, push the 4H button, climber underneath and it was now lined up in the 4H position. I figured then that the motor was working right and it must have been the hubs. I decided to buy the WARN manual hubs and installed them this past week. (The inside of the automatic hubs was full of crud). I still have no 4X4 even after installing the manual hubs. However, the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle turns if I turn the wheels when they are locked (and it won't turn when the wheels are free). My dash lights come on and I hear clicks coming out of the rear driver side of the truck where that motor is. But still no 4X4. We are due to get a significant snow storm starting tomorrow and I would really love to have my 4WD working. I would greatly appreciate any further advice and I should be on here constantly checking for posts. Also, if anyone is interested in the FORD automatic hubs and the cam and other pieces that I didn't need for the manual hub conversion, let me know.

Richard Wise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got done from taking the transfer case motor apart and cleaning the armature and magnet contacts. That didn't help much since I still don't have 4WD. This is really beginning to irritate me. I guess I can also check the trans. fluid level in the transfer case, maybe even change it. Does anyone know of anything I can do to solve this problem or have a suggestion as to what kind of transmission fluid I should get for the transfer case?

ok i looked it up in the book

Transfer Case :
Warner 13-54 holds 2.5 pints

Mercon type automatic transmission lubricant

Spider,
Thanks for the info on tranny fluid type. I will change it tomorrow (weather dependent) and also clean the other set of contacts behind the plate with the torx screws holding it in.

My first question is, how do you know you are not in 4X4? (lights arent on, on a lift the wheels dont spin, etc)

If its the lights, you need to not only clean the armature but also the wheel that the worm gear turns in the housing with all the wires coming out. This wheel is what determines what gear to put the transfer case in as well as sends a signal to the lights.

If the lights are on and the wheels dont spin, do you have the motor all the way in place? I know it sounds stupid, but it took me three times to get it on straight and all the way in place. Tighten all the nuts down a little at a time until all are tight (like putting on a wheel).

Let us know what you find out . Oh by the way, Im in Harrisburg, Pa on vacation and will be testing my new manual hubs (installed today) for the first time in that same storm. Good luck.

Richard,
Sounds like you've been thorough on checking the electrical switching system. All seems to be in working order. It seems like your left with a mechanical transfer case problem. I don't know if you're up to tearing into it, but it doesn't sound easy.
Just wondering, have you selected 4 low to see if low range engages, yet the front driveline is not driven?
Sorry I can't be of more help...
Warren

The dash light for 4H comes on but the front wheels don't spin (this was tested with the vehicle on a lift after installing the hubs and today in some loose sand/dirt). I have cleaned the contacts on the wheel and the magnets that they make contact with but I overlooked the other places of contact behind the cover with the torx screws. With the 4H light on, I tried putting it in 4L with the truck in neutral and got nothing but a few clicks then the 4H light went out. The nuts are tight and it appears that the motor is in place. I'll try working on cleaning the motor contacts tomorrow but don't know if I'll be able to. Thanks for your input.

Just wanted to post some more info I have forgotten in other posts. With the hubs locked, the front wheels will rotate if I rotate the drive shaft coming from the transfer case just like they should. I bought the Explorer used and don't know when the tranny fluid in the transfer case was last changed. I will add that to my list of things to do to try to correct this problem. Thanks for all of your input guys.

Back