4x4 swap on a gmc

LOGJOCKY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leduc, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EXPLORER XLT
no i dont expect anyone to really be able to tell me the best way to do this seeing as this is an explorer forum, but the gm forums blow so i will try anyuways. my mom now drives my explorer and i am currently running an 89 gmc c-1500. it is 2wd and i am wanting to convert it to 4x4. is it worth it or should i just buy another truck all together? I plan to do alot of work to this over the next year. i may even keep it 2wd and go for a prerunner if 4x4 aint compliable. only thing i cant decide on is paint, right now its diahrea brown, so any ideas for that would be helpful too.

Those trucks are dirt cheap right now so honestly it wouldnt be worth the work. Just sell it and buy a 4x4. However, if you want to keep it then it would be better to swap in a solid axle from the start. Find a junkyard 4x4 and get the transfer case and output for the 700r4. The ifs trucks are driver drop so you will need a Ford front. Get a Ford D44 and run leaves up front. Bolt on GM D44 hubs/rotors to get the 6 lug back. Or, leave it 5 lug and get a 9" rear to go with it to replace the junk 10 bolt it has right now.

All the IFS 4x4 stuff will bolt on, but you gotta think ahead. Lets say you get all the IFS 4x4 stuff cheap off of a junk truck. Well, its old so its gonna need some stuff replaced. Unit bearing hubs are very expensive. CV shafts arent too bad... balljoints are kinda expensive... the steering rack is expensive... by the time you rebuild/replace this stuff you're gonna be out ALOT of money. Alot of guys with 88-98 4x4's are going SAS just because its cheaper to do the SAS than it is to rebuild the front IFS. Hell, you can get a solid front and gear it for about the same price as the wheel bearings on the IFS.

yeah, i was thinking the same thing about going SAS over that ifs crap, mabye ill keep it 2wd and go prerunner style. get a fabtech lift with lots of travel and throw a locker in the rear

Back